What's new

warped dics?

old cruiser

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Getting slight steering shake when braking from say 60+ mph then the slight shake appears at around 45 mph with constant pressure on the brake pedal, thinking it could be the discs that are warped or one or both of the front calipers are sticking somewhat, annoying thing is if it the discs as these look like new no lip on the edge or anything, I think new discs and pads were fitted shortly before I got the car in back in October , incidentally there's no wheel wobble through the driving range or no knocks or bangs over rough roads , and no play when rocking the wheels at 3 and 9 o' clock or 6 an 12 o'clock , so I think all bushings, wheel bearings etc. can probably be ruled out, what do you think guys?
Cheers Pete

Swap your front and rear tyres just to rule tyres out.

Did you have wobble when you got the car or is it a recent development?

Discs dont warp.

What actually happens is carbon deposits from the brake pad get 'absorbed' in to the disc if the disc is heated up and the pad is left in contact with the disc

AccordPower said:
Swap your front and rear tyres just to rule tyres out.

Did you have wobble when you got the car or is it a recent development
Seems to be a fairly recent thing, with the tyres ; if I slow down under the same circumstances but without applying the brakes there is no shake at the lower speed , so I think the tyres are ok, be sod if it is the discs as said these are vitually new only done about 5,000 miles on them and most of that is motorway driving.
Cheers Pete

TheHole said:
Discs dont warp.

What actually happens is carbon deposits from the brake pad get 'absorbed' in to the disc if the disc is heated up and the pad is left in contact with the disc
I know what you mean here and have read about that before, however although it's quite true about the deposits etc. Discs do warp to an extent, I did a test for this several years ago on my old omega, where I bought a set of new discs , measured the run-out using a precision dial gauge, started getting vibrations a couple of months later and re-measured the discs and the discs had in fact warped according to measurements on the gauge, fitted new discs and all was well, strange old business!!lol
Cheers Pete

I put some "cheapo's" on the front of mine and within three months they were shot, warped or not they were Orrible. Got some proper ones and no problems, even wore out the old pads on them. If it is not warping then it must be wearing very quick.

edgeoftime said:
I put some "cheapo's" on the front of mine and within three months they were shot, warped or not they were Orrible. Got some proper ones and no problems, even wore out the old pads on them. If it is not warping then it must be wearing very quick.
If you don't mind me asking mate, what make discs have you got on there now then?
Cheers Pete