What's new

DIY tailgate clutch REPAIR!

adam123

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type s
If like a few others your tailgate opens a little bit but then closes its self then this is the fix! Please be aware it isn’t for the faint hearted and requires stripping down the motor to component parts.

After A LOT of reading and A LOT of pulling my car to pieces over a few weekends we discovered the electric clutch in the motor was to blame. Infact if you dig deep enough you’ll find Honda extended the warranty of the tailgate motor due clutch failure.

First off we need to remove the motor unit its self, please follow the steps in this guide http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19519-diy-for-tailgate-motor-removal/

Once we have the unit out the fun begins.

We need to remove the arm mechanism its only 3 10mm bolts

We need to remove the bracket that held the unit to the roof of the car. Just 3 10mm bolts

This uncovers where the 2 pulses are picked up by the ECU to check the motor isn’t spinning too fast. Remove the 2 screws holding this PCB in place.

Next we need to remove the plastic wheel. This is held on by a small circlip with a wavy washer underneath and then it should lift right off.

Luckily for this fix we do not need to remove the motor from the housing which saves us a lot of time. We need to remove the 4 bolts holding the unit together. There are 3 slightly bigger bolts 1 has a ring crimp underneath for a negative and the 4th smaller is in the top right corner holding down plastic connections.

Other Side

In the picture above you can see the clutch held in by 2 screws and on 2 bullet connectors. Remove these and the clutch pulls right out.

So that’s the easy part.

I hooked up a 12v feed to clutch and worked fantastically so over engineered its ridiculous. However we noticed it isn’t the clutch its self sticking but the friction plate sticking.

Clutch engaged

Clutch disengaged

Every few times the clutch was disengaged the friction plate would stick. So we had to take apart the clutch its self.

If you remove this circlip the unit will pull apart

On top of this shaft is a very tiny circlip, we need to remove this so we can separate the friction plates, I couldn’t get the camera to focus

Once that clip is off we can separate the 2 plates
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/Adam_Hodson/Mobile%20Uploads/20150411_133552_zpsh3loxyro.jpg

And then we uncover the problem, the smallest amount of grease works its way in between these 2 plates. We need to degrease these heavily! I used a lot of contact cleaner and kitchen roll. At first I put the unit back together and it stuck again so I separate the plates and carried on cleaning removing all traces of grease, muck and anything that shouldn’t of been there. Put the clutch back together and it didn’t stick after around 20minutes of on/off switching so im happy that’s fixed it. Then we need to degrease everything else we have taken apart and then re apply an absolute minimal amount of grease to the necessary parts when we put it back together.

Yeah there's a limit to the number of pictures per post for some software reason.

But that is excellent work and an excellent write up. Well done ! :D

I've added the last picture here

20150411_133552_zpsh3loxyro.jpg

Fantastic diy Adam glad you got it sorted hope it stays that way and saved alot of money I would expect.

Honestly the build quality of it is astounding and the engineering is overkill. Such a shame a bit of grease can get in there otherwise I'm sure it would run forever

Dear Adam,

Thank you for this excellent guide. I followed it and my tailgate works perfectly now! I used brake cleaner spray in the clutch - job done!!!!
The only thing I made it another way: I removed the whole ecu box from the roof -it's easier to unplug and replug the cables, and it's just a few more bolts to do it.

Brilliant I'm glad somebody else has tried it! Did you break the clutch down or just cover it in brake cleaner? Ye I looked at removing the ECU but I got quite good at unplugging the cables in the end!

I separeted the clutch then sprayed both sides of it. Then I cleaned it with a stripe of cloth, and sprayed it again. That was all!

If you remove, what looks like the the firing unit for the side curtain air bags you can access the plugs without have to remove the ECU. 3x 10mm bolts, drop the airbag unit and you will have room to get your fingers in, this also gave me room to remove that final plastic cable tie on the wiring harness.

I am in the process of cleaning, so I hope to get this up and running soon.

Didn't have small enough circlip pliers so I ended up cleaning the plates with brake cleaner and blue roll in between the plates. Tailgate opens now, currently no failed attempts to open, although, sometimes I still hear the noise where the plates used to slip but I can live with it.