What's new

2005 cdt-i rattling chain - replacement urgency

braynov

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 accord i-cdti
Hi,

How soon after the chain starts rattling do you need to replace it?
I mean do you have to run to the mechanic or is there a certain amount of miles before there is danger of braking the engine?

Thanks

I don't think it is urgent, they can keep going like that for a long time, but if the chain does snap in your car soon, I take no responsibility ;)

As Brian says they could go on for a long time or they could snap and as yours is an 05 model I would consider getting it done soon. If the oil pump chain snaps it could wreck the whole engine.

To use this topic to ask about chains:
I asked few garages to make quotation for timing chains change. Some of them want to use genuine Honda kit and very high total price (I ignore them), other said they use non genuine kits but at the moment no chain kits from any supplier.
So would you tel me where to look for such kit to buy myself and pay garage just for change labor? (if they agree of course)

You gonna find just chains... rest of kit like guides and tensioners are only genuine. No other suppliers

balllus said:
You gonna find just chains... rest of kit like guides and tensioners are only genuine. No other suppliers
Thanks for the info. Then question is where to buy chains from and guides/tensioners as well?

Try to call Holdcroft Honda and ask the price.Say that you are from Ta website,and they give you discount.

I bought full set on "tegiwa imports" site. But try holdcroft as well as i didnt check price there and maybe it is bit cheape

JapCar said:
Tegiwa price is £550.
I send inquiry to Holdcroft Honda.
No answer till now...
Does somebody know where can I buy from separate timing chain kit parts?

Cliffordski said:
They are on eBay from time to time.
Yes I saw there...but they sell just partial kits, which always include tensioner not separate all 9 parts. I will change everything excluding tensioners.

LiamEk9 said:
Surely you would replace the tensioners too? They are a vital part of the system.
Yes if they are damaged...or if I intend to use this car for 5-10 tears...Everybody say need to be changed, nobody said what was wrong with them when replaced, what is the criteria for (must be changed)

They usually get clogged up the gunk that's was causes them not to take up the tension any longer, it just makes sense to change it whilst the chain is off.

LiamEk9 said:
They usually get clogged up the gunk that's was causes them not to take up the tension any longer, it just makes sense to change it whilst the chain is off.
Isn't it possible after removing to be checked if they are clogged or to be soaked in any solvent and cleaned... Are tensioners detachable?