What's new

Auxiliary Drive Belt - 2ltr Vtec - Not Quoted Size

Angelchops

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2L Vetec 2003
I've just tried to change the auxiliary drive belt on my 2003 2.0 vtec. This is the first change as far as I know so the belt I removed was the factory fitted original.

I checked both the Dayco and Gates catalogues before I bought the new belt and they quoted 7PK1759 Dayco and 7PK1760 gates so no significant difference in length there. I bought a Dayco belt.

Problem is it's a full 60mm longer than the original one on the car which i've measured as only 1700 long (give or take a mm).

So i'm a bit stumped as all of the online suppliers quote the 1760 length and before anyone suggests it as far as I know mine isn't one of the ones where the idler pulley needs to be removed as a modification.

I recall reading on these forums that another guy was having this exact same issue but try as I might I can't find the thread so I don't know whether he solved it! Can anyone throw any light on this?

My engine code is K20A6 and the model code is CL7.

Can I Ask how much the belt was compared to a genuine Honda belt

Yes you can, it cost me £15 but it wasn't a poor quality belt. Dayco along with Gates are the market leaders and make drive belts for all of the major vehicle manufacturers.

Why do you ask?

I was comparing it to a OEM belt that is around the £40 mark.

Actually Gates and Dayco belts would normally be about double what I paid. I got a good deal - well it would have been if it had been the right one. :mellow:

I could do with finding out the Honda part number so I could do some cross referencing. Perhaps i'll need to go to a dealer and get advice.

Yes pretty sure.

Thanks for the diagram and part numbers. I notice on your diagram there are two possible belts listed.

I'm just having a blonde moment now - my car's an auto I'm wondering if that's relevant? Having said that there was no different belt for autos quoted when I bought the one i've got.

UPDATE: Just researched the two two Honda part numbers quoted in the diagram - both are for belts 1760mm long - the same as the one i've already bought. No different belt for autos either as far as I can see and the belt length (1760mm) is the same for both the CL7 and CM1. Now i'm REALLY confused!!

I'd probably agree but i've used both Gates and Dayco makes over the years, both timing belts and v belts, without an issue.

I've done some further research on the two genuine Honda belts specified in Mr Honda's parts diagram (thanks again for this) and established that both 38920RBAE01 and 38920RBAE02 were superseded by Honda to a single belt 38920RBAE03.

This is a wild guess but i'm starting to wonder whether Honda deliberately specified a longer belt for the later models to reduce the pressure from the tensioner and reduce wear on the alternator bearings? Could this be possible. Certainly there have been wear issues on the diesel models hence the modified belt routing and removal of one of the idler pulleys... but for the 2.0 petrol? I'm probably wrong but it does seem odd that i'm finding nothing about the shorter belt that has been originally fitted to my car.

At long last I just found the thread I couldn't locate before on the same subject...

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/11366-auxiliary-belt-help/?hl=auxiliary+belt+help

So it seems I have the exact same issue and the belt I need is a 7PK1690. I measured my belt at 1700 so allowing for stretching over time and error in my measuring it's about right.

7PK1690 belts are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse dung.

The suggestion has been made of using Gates 7PK1685 which are easy to obtain - 5mm is a very small variation. What do people think shall i go for it?

A question that popped up in the other thread you found, that I didn't think of, EPS or hydraulic power steering, that would explain difference in belt lengths and the 2 different part numbers and belt lengths!

38920-RBA-004
38920-RBA-E03

Hi,

if your power steering is hydraulic then 100% you have this belt as I have changed with dayco

7pk1760 made in italy

I fitted a Gates 7PK1685 today so I guess mine must be EPS model.

Despite being 5mm shorter than the Honda 7PK1690 belt it was a doddle to fit and at only £12 a bargain.

Re your comment Chris.. I've fitted a few Dayco belts and I've always found them superb, reading the other thread I know you were a bit concerned about their quality at first, but I don't think you need worry. It'll last the course.

OK,
I have a Honda Accord SE 2litre 2007 (Engine Code; K20Z2)
Honda part number for the Aux / Alternator belt is : 38920 RBA 004.

When you cross reference over to Gates, Dayco it will come up asa 7PK1760, which is not correct.

The correct size for this particular Honda part number is 7PK1687, 7PK1689 or 7PK1690.
The following companies make these belts:
7PK 1687 - Dayco, Continental & Blue Print (ADL).
7PK 1689 - SKF
7PK 1690 - Dayco, Gates & Febi Bilstein.

I got there the hard way, as the old saying goes no pain , no gain.

Thanks