What's new

About to Start a Full Detail

GordyC

Members
Reaction score
Car
53 Accord Sport CTDI
I'm about to start a full detail on my Missus' car (white Hyundai i40 62 plate) then I'll follow up with a detail on my car (black Accord 53 plate).

So far I've got

1. Simoniz Car Shampoo - being using this a while and does a reasonable job.

2. Carpro Iron X - never used this before but comes recommended.

3. Built Hamber Regular Clay Bar - used clay bars previously but 1st time for this one...comes strongly recommended.

4. Autoglym Super Resin Polish - use this all the time and is excellent.

5. Autoglym Glass Polish - used occassionally and does ok, though can leave white marks on rubber/plastic.

6. Autoglym HD wax - never used before but comes strongly recommended.

Time permitting I'll give both engine bays a once over too.

It's my intention to rinse, wash (2 bucket), dry, decontaminate (Iron X), rinse, wash (2 bucket), dry, clay, polish then wax. The glass and wheels will get attention too towards the end.

So.....looking forward to the next dry day off....but not too hot or sunny!

I'll take pics as I'm working and will get them up asap.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated as always!

get a clay mitt over the bar. Can be picked up from Halfords. After your wash rinse no need to dry just get a bucket of water with a little shampoo and use the mitt- trust me it's so much easier over clay bar and quicker too.

I Agree with Sal, after a wash use the vet surface as lubricant for clay. If you are using carpro iron then you still don't need to dry the car perfect.

Have you thought of using PTFE Zonyl protective sealant before waxing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Polish-PTFE-Paint-Sealant-Car-Cleaning-Car-Wax-Shop-500ml-Free-Microfibre-/230803984833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35bcfd51c1

I tried it and am very satisfied with results. It gives you that long lasting deep shine and protect paintwork from extremities.

Please do post pictures.

How long does a detail last. I use Simon shampoo followed by farcela wax. It usually lasts 2 weeks. The clay bar and seal is all new to me. Is there a recommended detail kit I can purchase or should I just buy the clay bar and sealer and use my own shampoo and wax.

I think it's quite difficult to give a timescale. I've read that some can last a week or 2, others can last a couple of months!

I also think that there's lots of different products out there, each with its own "promises". I've used some before and found some good, some awful. It all really depends how far you want to take things and how much is in your budget - I stumbled across a wax for £300 on eBay!!! I'm experimenting just now and have looked at various reviews, hence the Bilt Hamber clay, Iron X and Autoglym HD wax.

I just like a nice looking car and enjoy "my time" when cleaning the car....as sad as that sounds! Lol

From what I've read, it's all about preparation - making sure your paint is as good as possible before waxing/sealing. So, wash, Iron X, wash, clay, wash, polish, wax....then maybe seal. Apparently the Autoglym super Resin Polish can be applied up to 5 layers which can fill in fine scratches?!? Then put wax over it to seal.

This might take longer than I first thought!!!!

Roll on the weekend!

thanks, i think you are right, things can get carried away. I drive 300+ motorway miles a week, hence my car doesnt stay shiny for as long. I might just try the clay mit from Halfords this time inbetween the shampoo and wax and see how it goes. I have way too many touched up blemishes on my bonnet and paint peel on front bumper for the sealer to make any significant effect. I will through in the mit between the shampoo & wax and see if it helps.

If you use a sealant then you don't really need a wax on top. Some people like to for added protection and to add some warmth and depth. Just remember a sealant or wax is your last step. So say if you use a polish (which is abrasive) that will remove any protection.

for off the shelf products I would wash then if needed de tar/iron x, clay, filler glaze(srp), then extra gloss protection and or wax.

maintenance wash would be a wax safe shampoo, top up any protection with quick detailer.

go as overkill as you fancy ;)

Ps. Don't think my cars seen a wash mitt in two months lol

Any thoughts on what to shine the interior black leather seats with please

On previous cars with leather seats I've used the Autoglym leather products.....cleaner then care. When applying the care liquid just throw loads on, as though you're soaking the seat, then massage in with your hand. Leave it for a while, depending on the condition of the leather, then wipe off the excess. Leave to dry.

This has worked wonders on leather I thought was past it!