What's new

What colour was the pollen filter from the factory ?

Spaniel

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Exec Auto
While trying to fix a weak heater blower output, I've pulled the pollen filter out of the dashboard tonight, and its colour is on the black side of grey.
It is definitely filthy, and will get replaced tomorrow.
I waved the hoover at it for a couple of minutes, then refitted it, and the blower output has already improved noticeably, maybe from 10% of healthy, to 25% (random numbers chosen. The output is still weak)

New filters advertised online all seem to be white/yellow in colour.
But mine is so very dark grey, I am wondering if the filter was grey from the factory. If it WAS white/yellow when new, then it is pretty horrific.
The car is new to me, but 13 years old, and it's possible the filter has never been changed.

Does anyone know what colour the filter was from the factory ?

Changed mine recently and pretty sure it was the original. Dark grey colour. Beware ordering new one - got non-Honda one from Halfords and its just the paper filter part without the grey plastic surround. There are other threads discussing this if you do a search. I fitted the paper part anyway and it seemed a snug fit.

Original colour of oem filter is white, they can go grey within a year or 2

There are often 2 types available, a carbon activated one which is black/grey, said to help filter smells from outside, and a standard plain one, which would be white or yellow I would think.

Carbon ones usually cost a bit more.

As you say, if you don't know its a carbon one, you could mistake it for being very dirty. Sometimes they have the date printed on them so you can tell how old they are. Change annually unless you do very low miles.

Euro car parts for them for less than a tenner for the 8th gen.

richsprint said:
There are often 2 types available, a carbon activated one which is black/grey, said to help filter smells from outside, and a standard plain one, which would be white or yellow I would think.
That makes sense. I really don't think my mucky one was ever white

New one is very white, and has come from EuroCarParts. It fitted fine, and the extra flap of paper around the edge seems to do the job of the foam seal on the original. So long as the wind is blowing in the right direction, the perimeter flaps will get blown outwards and seal the gaps.

Old and new:

150704%20new%20and%20old%20pollen%20filter_zps91svhjya.jpg

The improvement in airflow has been quite spectacular :D
It was barely a dribble to start with.