What's new

GSI Gear box oil?

3digitdriver

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord gen 3
So the time came this weekend to change the gearbox oil, but im confused as to what oil to use. In the handbook doesnt really list a grade, i asked down my local parts shop and on there system it said use 10w-40? They didnt seem very confident though. I downloaded the workshop manual and it to says the following
Transmission%20oil.JPG

Can some one just confirm or suggest what you guys have used? Just feels wrong putting engine oil in a box :wacko: Cheers all

Hello pal. You have to remind us of what year this car is?

A lot of Hondas this age use this grade of oil. Use a high quality synthetic oil and it should be fine, just stick to the recommended service intervals. From memory some people run Amsoil MTF as an upgrade, I've heard Opie Oils touted as a good contact point for oil queries as they really know their stuff - it may be worth giving them a bell to see what brand they recommend in that viscosity to be used in a manual gearbox.

Ok thanks josh, The cars an 87. Had a chat at my local honda dealer on the way home and they said that back in the day they just used semi 10w-40 the same that they put in there engines and never had a problem.

3digitdriver said:
Ok thanks josh, The cars an 87. Had a chat at my local honda dealer on the way home and they said that back in the day they just used semi 10w-40 the same that they put in there engines and never had a problem.
Yup the box is designed to use engine oil, and that's why the service interval on the box is so short. You might be able to stretch it out a little longer on fully synth.

Or the dedicated MTF's cliff suggest may well be suited (and preferential) provided that their viscosity is a match to 10-40.

It seems to be Dexron II. The Honda automatic transmission hasn't changed much from the 80's until the early 2000's.

The OP's car is a manual mate ;)

It needs to be changed at 30,000 mile intervals on these cars iirc, although with a high quality synthetic oil you could probably go longer between changes.