What's new

DIY Civic 8 steering wheel on pre-facelift Accord 7th i-ctdi

morpheous87

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 7
Hi,

This is a video demonstrating a Civic 8 steering wheel on Accord 2004 i-ctdi. All the buttons on the wheel are working (premium audio and cruise control). The buttons on the wheel, which currently haven't any functionality are going to have such soon :) Probably switching the frond and rear view cameras and several other features I'm gonna to implement in this Accord.

Mapping the buttons wasn't big problem. Swapping the airbag was a bit of a challenge. The pre-facelift Accord is with single stage detonator and the Civic is with double stage one. There are two ways to do it - wire up the stronger stage of the detonator, and (as I did) swap the detonators. I got the detonator from the Accord airbag and put it on the Civic's bag. So no ECU errors and so. Probably there are some safety issues, but I think it would be OK (I hope not to happens) if the bag need to be infiltrated.
There is one more big issue - the Civic wheel goes deeper on the steering column and started to run in the plastic behind the wheel. The solution was to make stop marks on the wheel's splines. Thats a bit tricky!!!

I have some pictures of the process, and I will make some step-by-step for DIY soon.

So, here it is - the video :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvZOzqXwmyk

Great work! :)

A genuinely cool mod

Looks good. Steering wheel mod is something I've considered as the leather on mine is starting to wear off. I've also looked at Civic wheel mods, but the air bag issue confuses me. From what I understand from what you've written, the air bag is hooked up and won't throw an error, but am I right in thinking it won't actually inflate properly in the event of a crash?

Stevearcade said:
Looks good. Steering wheel mod is something I've considered as the leather on mine is starting to wear off. I've also looked at Civic wheel mods, but the air bag issue confuses me. From what I understand from what you've written, the air bag is hooked up and won't throw an error, but am I right in thinking it won't actually inflate properly in the event of a crash?
Well, you can use the original infiltrator of the bag from the Civic one, just wire it to the stronger detonator. I considered to use the Accord's infiltrator with the Civic bag. This could be harmful in case of crash event, but I think they are prety the same, and if there is some bags volume mismatch, I think it will done the job in case of crash.

P.S. both infiltrators are the same size and bolt pattern.