What's new

Possible silly question re spoilers

NuSoggs

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 SE Exec 2000
Ok, so my ATR spoiler turned up today, however there are no bolts supplies.mwould a healthy portion of Sikaflex do a decent enough job or do any of you experts know which bolts I need?

Incidentally it's going on a 1.8 saloon with no holes drilled on boot.

Many thanks

And yes I do realise I edited my post yet STILL failed to correct the typo lol :)

Ok update, I ordered 4 bolts direct from lings, that should easily sort the problem. Will still sikaflex too though for added security and sealing.

Make sure you use rubber washers on the inside of the boot lid too :)

luvmyaccord said:
Make sure you use rubber washers on the inside of the boot lid too :)
Ok good idea, Thankyou. My plan is to drill the holes and use a touch up paint to paint the newly exposed metal, surround the bottom of the spoiler with 3m bodywork tape then bolt it in place (with as you've mentioned rubber washers). Would that be sufficient?

Don't think you'll need the tape. As long as you've got 2 bolts either side of the spoiler. Are the holes inside the spoiler threaded?

When drilling put masking tape on the boot lid where you're drilling. This will stop the paint near the holes you're drilling from flaking off. Then once drilled touch up the paint so as to stop water ingress and rusting.

Would be a good idea if you can also put thin rubber washers between bootlid and spoiler as well as the bottom between bolts and boot lid on the underside.

Ok awesome. I'll do that then, Thankyou. Yes the spoiler is threaded, though one of the holes look like it maybe taken I bit of damage being removed from the last car. Nothing serious though, just the area around the hole kind of bulging out slightly.

If you're worried you could always use some thread locker stuff in the holes before you screw the bolts into it.

If you do this, just make sure you wipe of any excess as soon as it's bolted home and tightened.

don't mean this as an insult to anyone.. but .. does anyone really think it does anything for aero? other than being a styling piece I can't really see it making much difference . unless you're on a track day cornering over 70/80mph lol

I dunno though, Im standing by awaiting correction ;)

It won't do anything at all on a bog standard fwd 1.8 car. heck even on the ATR it probably doesn't do much at all, might offer some downforce at really high speeds, its just mainly for styling purposes

I agree that a spoiler is only for styling.

Would you really want rear downforce on a front drive car that is light at the back and heavy at the front? No lol. If you actually want downforce on any front drive car your best bet is a flat splitter, then you can fit a rear one for downforce and play with the setting to get the balance right.

If you have a functioning rear wing on a front drive car (or most cars for that matter) all you're going to do is increase understeer when on a track.

The spoiler on the ATR is only there to keep the car more stable at over 100mph.

I know this is an older topic but I have the sport spoiler and would like to know how difficult it would be to switch to the atr spoiler? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hi guys can someone please help me with the wiring of the accord sport spoiler? ive got a spoiler of my 1.8 sport and painted it, and now need to attach it along with the wiring which im lost at. please advise.