What's new

Fuel Injection System Fails following Exhaust manifold replacement

Fransaccord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer CTDI
Hello all,

I've been reading your brilliant forum for ages now, and am sad in a way to post something, but my car let me down 2 weeks ago...I wonder if anybody can help me.

I've got a 57 plate Accord Tourer CTDI 2.2.

Just had a full 120k service and exhaust manifold replacement done at Holden Honda in Norfolk.

Within 200 miles I was got an engine management light (the first time ever in 127 000 miles) so pulled over to get it read - the 2 codes read: fuel pressure too high, and pressure too low.

Got the codes removed, and car drove perfectly (no dip in performance at all) though it did not want to start when I picked it up from the dealer.

Tentatively I kept driving it, but 2 days later the car wouldn't start (trying a warm restart after about 70 miles).
The management lights came back on and it just wouldn't fire.
I happened to be stuck in a charge by minute car park at Bristol airport (otherwise I'd have waited for the AA).

Instead as the engine seemed to be spluttering I hand primed using the diesel pump. After a little while I got it to splutter into life, but it kept dying again.
Having eventually gotten it to turn over - keeping my foot virtually to the floor I crawled to the nearest dealer I could (Bristol) where the car is still sitting.

With the throttle fully open the car was making 2000 RPM's occasionally responding normally i.e. up to 5k 6k, but then returning to 2000 RPM's. Almost electrically controlled.

I'd like to know if it's possible that when the manifold was replaced, could the work have damaged the fuel injection system?

(specifically I've read about turbo removals http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/17940-diy-replace-badcracked-manifold-on-22-i-ctdi-accord-2007/ )

I've checked the last 3 garages I used to fuel up at. No reports of swarf or diluted diesel and they were Texaco and BP stations.

Obviously the fuel system is majorly expensive (2248) with labor quoted at bristol. I've read the thread about BG 244, but I fear my pump maybe shot already.

I welcome your thoughts, and thanks again for this amazing resource.

P.S. This is my 5th accord, but the first diesel. The last petrol accord I had made it 280 000 and was still running when I sold it.

It may just be a coincidence or its possible one of the rail sensors is damaged.

I would suggest replacing the fuel filter with a new
Genuine Honda item and also the fuel rail pressure relief valve on the side of the fuel rail

Start with basics, fuel filter first as Fahad says, then if it is still no good, look at the intake side for any issues. Blocked pipes, incorrectly fitted etc.

Bristol finally came back to tell me the fuel filter is not new. Something Norfolk should have replaced...
But they did say that the fuel rail pressure relief valve was functioning as it should.
I'll get them to replace the fuel filter straight away. It should have been done already.

Thanks to you both.

OK - update. Fuel filter is not causing the problem. Garage is saying that there aren't any blocked pipes. Also said that pressure relief is functioning.
Should I ask them to check the solenoid, or is better at this stage to just cave and replace the whole pump?

Thanks all

This is a main dealer yes? Why are you having to advise them?

Yes Bristol Honda...they won't replace just the solenoid either...they claim they don't know how to do this.

I'm afraid once you've given your car to a main dealer you really are very much at their mercy.. It's very unusual for a high pressure pump to fail on these engines but it's not unheard of. If they're satisfied they've exhausted all other possible causes then you need to let them do it now. Otherwise you're paying for their time and parts used to date and you will still have a broken car.

The pumps have been known to fail but uncommon. the fuel pump is interchangeable between civic crv and accord, so surely they would of tried substituting yours( I know I do due to the cost of the pump). It's actually in the hints and tips on the Honda tech support pages to substitute the pump if suspected.

So, a very interesting few days later. I have persuaded Bristol to fit a solenoid specifically fuel actuator for the Bosch pump. They took my car out for a test drive today, and phoned to say it wasn't cutting out and remained running. So far so good, but they did say it ran a little rough (not run for 2 months) and the battery was dying. They did say the check engine came on, but the technician did honestly think it was battery related. They're fully charging it tonight and will retest in the morning.

They did say they'd tried to run the car 1 month ago to no avail. So at least the engine is now running some what.., was thinking to request bg244. Maybe they missed gunk in the inlet side?

Sounds like progress

They've had the car for 2 months? I hope they're not charging you storage..

No charges for storage Fahad - they've billed me 160 quid for the fitting and testing/ diagnostics. Yes - almost 2 months have gone by. I work abroad a lot, but have also been battling Honda UK in that time period about the rubbish service encountered at Holden Honda in Norfolk, and the possibility still remains that they damaged or disturbed something with the turbo charger when the manifold was replaced.
It also took Bristol honda an age to cave in and agree to fit the solenoid. When they eventually realised that the car was just going to sit there until they fitted it we made progress.
Anyway, they drove it again today, and so far so good. No engine management lights, smooth performance, and they said they've done a fair few miles with the battery fully charged. They are calling it fixed. Obviously the real test will be when I start putting the miles on the clock, but I think that if the fuel pump was knackered it would either be running or not.

They stated it's a 'shame honda doesn't recognise the Bosch solenoid as a replaceable component'...I thought, you're not kidding, it saves people 2 grand. I got mine from Rayner diesels in Berkshire who were fairly cheap (85 quid) and efficient at sending it over same day.

Still going to put BG244 in just to be sure.

Fingers crossed for you. Sounds like it is fixed actually

So 2000 miles later...still running no lights, no fuel related issues. So I think Jon G - I owe you one.

BUT, I am now starting to get a noise when the engine is warming up. It quiets down after it's up to temp. though still louder than it ever used to be.
I could only really describe it as a diesely noise. Not a whine, nothing sounding like a belt or a chain, but rather like the rougher lumpier sound of old oil when it's due for a change. It's not the alternator either. I know that sound - I had it on my partners FRV.

I changed the oil about 600 miles ago with genuine filter, using Comma 5w30 - I cannot get hold of 0w30 where I live most of the time (Slovenia). It's not even produced or stocked ANYWHERE. I have up til now only used Castrol 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w30 or 5w30 (0 when I'm in the UK)...no problems, but this sounds like oil pressure, or oil not being viscous enough on startup. Do you think I should bin this oil and change for Mobil? I was under the impression that Comma and Mobil were the same, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also it kicks in noticeably under the 2000 RPM mark. It's fine when idling, and is not so noticeable when I put my foot down, but it feels and sounds noisy and lumpy under acceleration from 1500 to 2.

Sounds like injector knock. Have your injector calibration checked.. Maybe they removed the injectors when trying to solve your issue and put them back into the wrong cylinders.

I'm checking the fuel filter as well...I don't trust the dealership at all to have changed it. They've managed to balls everything else up so far. Could that be culpable?

Unbelievable...they have not changed the filter. Specifically told me they had; billed me for it.

That is pretty unbelievable

should I replace that first, or do you still think injection calibration? Did the video ring any bells?

Unbelievable? That's fraud.

I'd be having a word with their general manager and asking him if what he sees as fair compensation is in line with your expectations.

Carp like this is the reason I do all my own work where I can. At least I know the work's done, and done properly.

That sounds like a diesel knock i.e it wants more fuel, get that filter changed quick make sure it is a Bosch 442
filtersony005_zpsb2d927eb.jpg

MK%207%20BITS%20009_zps9emj5yul.jpg