What's new

Car stopped on the road

vorda22

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord typer 1999
So 1st I felt some vibrations, then some clicking noise aproximate to the speed of RPMs, then the motor just shook and stopped. On trying to start it, it started squeling, turned on for 2 seconds and died again. Any ideas before my mechanic tells me tomorrow that I'm out of a car :(

The car is an Accord typeR '99.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using Tapatalk

let's hope it's not serious....do you know when the timing belt was last changed and if the timing belt tensioner has ever been?

tensioner has been replaced twice and belt three times. it has been like 70k kilometers ago when i had it replaced the third time, sometimes at the end of 2011. i guess that could be it, but i didnt hear any loud metal grinding or bumping, just slight ticking, and vibrations before that. three weeks ago i told my mechanic to check for everything, so i ***umed he would do it. Oh well, i guess i will know tomorrow.

Could be the alternator perhaps?

Sounds like the engine can be turned over but the h22 engines do suffer from the auto tensioner failing.
A common upgrade is installing the h23 manual tensioner which is far stronger and can withstand abuse.

If the tensioner had failed the belt may have jumped some teeth causing the timing to come out of alignment - hopefully the valves are still ok if this is the case.

As mentioned h22's also suffer from dizzy's/ignition coils failing too - can easily check if the dizzy is generating spark for the plugs

Hope it isnt too expensive to fix. Good luck
Let us know how your mechanic gets on

Hi all. Thanks for your input. The mechanic said it was a small belt problem. I guess there are two belts on the side of that engine?

Yes one drives the power steering pump and the other drives the alternator.

Great news that it's not something worse.

Yeah thats the balancer belt. The belt its self is not critical to engine operation. ( mine is removed permanently) however if it fails it throws it self about and it lives right next to the timing belt and normally causes issues.

be sure the timing belt is not got damage on it anywhere

so yeah, i need the full timing belt and tensioner set for accordtyper 1999. can anyone recommend a place that ships to croatia. its in eu now. thanks

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk