What's new

Engine & vsa light help please

According

Members
Reaction score
Car
07 accord i-ctdi
The last couple of days with my 7th gen 2.2 i-cdi estate has been feeling a bit juddery when doing a constant speed, i got in it to go out yesterday and about 5 mins from my house, the engine light and vsa light came on and it just slower came to a stop, so i turned it off & on again and the gas pedal did nothing at all. Turned it off again, waitind 5 mins and on ingition i pressed the vsa button to switch it off, started it and it revved so i limped it home. From what ive been reading this could be an oil issue but my oil level is full, ive yet to have a dianostic but i think its either the throttle control engine side sensor or pedal sensor maybe ??

Any help would be very welcome, ive only owned this a month, also it has 119k, had the timing chain & service done when i bought it, has been pretty gd so far till yesterday :( and still seems to run alright now.

It's more likely an accelerator pedal position sensor problem, quite common and affects both the petrol and diesel as they share the same part.

ok thats what im thinking as the pedal didnt do anything on the first restart, so the VSA is to do with traction control & Throttle control ??

Went to the dealer today, we agreed that i'll take it the garage just up the road from me and get it tested, whatever the outcome he said bring to the dealership afterwards which aint far and get the work done on the warrenty, hopefully its an releatively easy fix and get it back in under a week hmmm.

3 codes came up, P1248 - accelerater pedal sensor & P2138 - sensor A/B (he said they had the same description) and P0339 - crank position sensor intermittent

Awaiting a call back from the dealer now.

Are these easy to change ?

What places should i not get them from if the dealer wont fix it ?

Crank position error I wouldn't worry for now, that can happen when the car has failed to start a few times.

The other errors are correlation errors because the ecu cannot correlate a signal between the APPS and TPS.

Just change the APPS, it's the unit that connects to the accelerator cable inside a black plastic box behind the air box. If you have a warranty it should be covered.

Ok thanks f6had, the warrenty company said i just need to get a garage quote. i forgot to add the full description of the P1248 is - accelerator pedal position sensor incorrect voltage, is that going to be the sensor u think has failed still ?

Also the car has never failed to start not once, always a quick nice start up everytime.

When i go to see the garage ill let them know what u have said as ive seen u comment on alot of threads so u seen like the expert! and go from there :)

The potentiometer inside the unit has failed hence the voltage error. It's a non serviceable item so will need replacing

Ok thats fine, ive left it with garage and told them i think that sensor should be changed. Should get sorted this week.

I have another issue, the auto selection on the front window wipers doesnt work, you move it down 1 notch, the wipers activate once and thats it, no matter what position you put the rate wheel it doesnt activate the wipers again. Hope you can understand that. Could it be the sensor on the dash or on the window by the interior mirror ?

Garage rang me today, said they tested it and there was no error codes logged, guy drove it 7-8 miles and no problems!! ahhhh just great it now works but will proby break down again when i get it lol

They said honda wanted £87 for a crank sensor and £187 for the TPS sensor, so should i change the crank sensor as its the cheapest and at least it ellimates that part out ?? or do the TPS sensor ??

Much help needed again!

Replace the app sensor, they are known to fail. I've never changed a crank sensor yet on the ictdi engine. Whereas I've changed lots of app sensors. As for the wipers, when set to auto do they work like they've been set to intermittent even if the screen is dry?

Yeah i think its the app sensor as the pedal didnt work at all. It swipes once regardless if its dry or raining, u twist the delay collar to any amount and nothing happens.

Have the same problem with my 2007 iCTD, error codes pointing to APPS, I have been quoted £220 by the Local Honda dealer for a replacement Sensor!!.

Have seen some replacements from the States at a little more than a third of this price OK I understand they won't be Honda parts but has anybody fitted these and found them to be good or bad??.

They are quoted as being for the petrol engined cars, previous commentators have stated they should fit ,does anyone know if there is a difference between the American Models and the European Models.

I couldn't say for certain but if its coming from a US model Acura TSX then it's probably fine.

F6HAD

Thanks for your input, I've Emailed the people in the states with the vehicle particulars ( VIN, engine, etc) so awaiting a reply to see if this is a direct placement for the APPS .Hopefully it is so saving £140 over the Honda price ***uming it works OK. There was a couple on ebay second hand but I'am reluctant to buy them as it would appear that these sensors can be perfectly OK and then intermittently go faulty so throwing up the error codes, it has happened twice to me the first time sending the car into limp mode, after 45 minutes the MIL reset itself and the car returned to normal running albeit with a hesitancy and last week the MIL light came on with no effect on the cars running again resetting itself when left overnight, very strange. The car is running OK now but I feel I should do something to mitigate against the problem returning.
Once again thanks for your knowledge and expertise on this forum.

No problem. The USA sellers probably won't know if it's compatible with a uk diesel accord but I do know the petrol and diesel cars share the same unit so if it's from an Acura TSX I have a strong suspicion it will be fine

Just heard back from the American sellers they reckon it won't fit because it is designed for the US Model Honda Accord I think I'll play safe and not bother. Back to ebay.

Had another Email from the Americans this part won't fit the Acura TSX so that's it. Just found a new one on ebay cheaper than Honda dealer but still to my mind expensive for what it is. Will ring up local hospital see what the going rate for Kidneys sales are. :)