What's new

Strange wobble...

jsmith89

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
Since I've owned my mk6 I've had a strange wobble through the car.

It's very odd because it feels like it comes through the chassis, not like unbalanced wheels. When I had the wheels refurbished they said no buckles were found and I refitted brand new tyres. I've them precision balanced as well, no difference.

When you drive on a smooth stretch of road slowly you can feel like a strange bobbing sensation. It doesn't appear that much at mid speeds but as I commute on the motorway everyday at 70 it's at its worst and at this speed there is also a buffeting noise.

Maybe small buckle?
Out of shape tyres?
Cracked spring?
Shocks?
Tie/track rods?
Warped brakes?
Driveshafts?

Any help greatly received...

Joe

On my old Passat, I started noticing a slow undulation or wollow, which fairly quickly became worse. Rear shocks had gone and even I could tell by leaning on the corners.

Yea that is what I was starting to think because I've changed the wheels around to different positions around the car to see if the wobble would come from a different location. But it just shows that the wobble still comes from the front somewhere. So I'm thinking shocks maybe? As you say there is no knock or extra bounce from the front? Did you have a garage determine the problem?

Cheers

You need to inspect the suspension, it could be anything, things like droplinks, or worn bushes can cause this. If the shocks have gone there should be more issues, the socks and springs on these cars are probably some of the strongest youw ill ever come across on a passenger car, so my bet is it might be something more simpler, so check the linkages and bushings out before spending big bucks on other parts.

The shocks on my Passat deteriorated fairly quickly and were then obvious even for me to diagnose. If yours are returning to the level as they should (ie push down on a corner, up with little overshoot, then level) then exec's right. Drop links seem to deteriorate after about 100k according to posts here. Try a search for the symptoms?

Yepp have a look at them and see if theres any play in them and also if any tears in any bushings

Possibly, cheap budget tyres and winter tyres cause tyre roar noise.

The conclusion to the mystery!

I thoroughly checked all the suspension etc etc with no luck sourcing the issue.

So today I went to see my local tyre shop for a second opinion. He said that old Honda's are built like brick **** houses and suspension is never normally an issue. He said also they wheels are old school genuine Honda wheels and are bullet proof, so ruled them out.

He found that 1 tyre had a minor imperfection and one tyre wasn't seated properly. He said the tyre fitters who fitted these did it quickly and didn't over inflate the tyres to...
1. remove / straighten any imperfections.
2. to seat the tyre properly on the rim.

He refitted all 4 tyres inflated to 80psi to straighten them out. Then inflated to correct pressure and balanced them up.

Now the old girl drives like a dream! No shakes or shudders. Fallen in love all over again lol.

Joe

A14 TYRES AND EXHAUSTS in Bury St Edmunds.

I've used them for years. Had numerous tyres for various cars all wing performance powerflow exhausts from them.

I was so pleased that I treated the old tank to a set of new high quality ignition leads!

Such good service. Your right.

Glad to hear its sorted and something as simple as that. Too many conmen and cowboys in the motor industry so its refreshing to hear a good garage.