What's new

Low temp on gauge

grentuu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
Hi guys,

While driving last night I noticed something unusual. I drove from Bolton To Manchester and then onto Glossop, no issues. I then drove back by which time it was absolutely freezing (about 1 degrees outside with freezing rain) Just as I was coming off the motorway I thought that the temp gauge had dropped slightly.Watching it, within minutes it had almost gone down to zero. Engine was running fine though. I turned the heating off and the needle slowly rose back up to about quarter way.

As I said engine /car ran fine throughout. The gauge has always been constant, sitting just below the halfway mark no matter what the conditions. I've checked the coolant and that's fine so my first thought is a stuck open thermostat?

Anything else I should check? And best place to buy a thermostat and any recommendations?

Thank you

Update. Over the weekend I have driven the car on a couple of journeys (short.) The temp goes up to a little below where it normally sits. Also this morning I noticed a sweet smell from the exhaust, although it is only on cold start and lasts a couple of minutes. All other times no smell and no white smoke at all.

Confused.

Check coolant and thermostat.

Hmm not sure then, you could try bleeding the system, air might have got in if you topped up recently.