What's new

Fuel Filter Cap Seized

Hutch532

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-DTEC 2.2 EX Tourer
After scouring the topics here I decided to change my own fuel filter. For what should have been a half hour job, its turned into a complete nightmare!!! No issue with moving the fusebox out the way and removing the inlet hose. After buying an 89mm, 15 flute socket (not the original Honda but an amazon special) proceeded to set about the filter cap. Low and behold the cap is seized! tried all sorts from the socket (padded out to take up the 1/2mm backlash or so) to strap wrenches. Has anyone had any experience of this? and if so what was your solution? Short of ordering a new cap and 'gently' breaking up the cap to remove it, I'm out of ideas!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Fuel or oil filter??? oil filter is staring you in the face left front as you look in the engine compartment, and requires a filter wrench to remove,
also it looks like a cap but it is more than just that, the filter fits onto it. Fuel filter is on the right side bulkhead under the bulb primer and required no wrench just small hands 10mm spanner and lots of patience.

FUEL FILTER=
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8402-diy-7th-gen-pre-facelift-diesel-fuel-filter-change/

SORRY IT SHOULD BE THIS THREAD

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/20203-8th-gen-diy-i-dtec-fuel-filter-replacement/

John, yeh that's the one, well one of the three ;). The I-DTEC fuel filter, hidden away behind the fuse box on RH side. New caps ordered so cold chisel will be out in due time!

Mine came strght off!

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/20203-8th-gen-diy-i-dtec-fuel-filter-replacement/

Perhaps a previous owner / garage ripped it up tight to improve the seal? Not necessary thoguh, it's on an o-ring. Over tightening will just make it hard to remove, it won't seal any better.

Good luck, and be careful not to drop all the bits into the filter housing. That last thing you want is a load of cr@p in the fuel line!

Let us know how you get on...

Matt, yeh that's probably the case! Monkey logic in my opinion. Bloody frustrating regardless. I've just been in Halfords and picked up a chain wrench so give it a shot in the coming days and let you know, as you said I don't want all the crud in the fuel line

There was a product update regarding the fuel filter being done up too tight. From memory not all models were affected. The counter measure part had a white paint spot on it. But even then it only takes some ham fisted idiot to to do it too tight and you end up having to break it to undo it. As the others have said be careful not to drop debris into the filter housing.

just a quick update on the old fuel filter dilemma, managed to use a decent (massive) sized breaker bar and a chain wrench (on a socket Hex) and pop, off it came without much more bother! therefore if in doubt, persevere and just use a bigger tool!!! I wouldn't recommend any of the cheap amazon options in hindsight, but as you may see from other posts, it did work for others. Also of interest, the cap I removed was of the white dot variety, the new one wasn't however so it could be interesting for the next filter change <_<

Cheers

Chris

I actually bought a genuine Honda tool from Holdcroft for the workshop to ensure we had the right tool for our customer cars. It's easy with the correct cap removal tool...

The genuine Honda tool would have been ideal, but I just couldn't justify the £50 odd quid for the occasional use. Got it sussed for next time haha