What's new

Honda HDS nightmare.

Goodluckmonkey

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CN2
I'm having a nightmare getting mine installed as wont run the EXE to install the HDS software.

Anyone else have this problem, or can anyone copy their disc for me?

Firstly, it will only install on Windows XP

Secondly, if it's a clone, yeah the poxy mini-CD that comes with it is low quality. The EXE would not install from the mini-CD that came with my HDS clone .....but, the EXE will COPY to desktop (or anywhere you want). I think the reason that it will copy from CD rather than install from CD, is that there are differences in the way the two processes run.

Thirdly, when you have installed the software, the nightmare is not over. If you don't have a built-in RS232 on your platform, you need a USB-to-RS232 adapter-cable and good drivers for it. Fortunately for me, I still have an ancient desktop-PC with built-in RS232, and the first time I used the HDS, I installed and ran it on that PC. That PC has full control of the RS232 port-settings in BIOS. The HDS expects the RS232 on COM PORT 1, but if you are using a USB-to-RS232 adapter-cable, the drivers for it must let you change the COM PORT settings. When the drivers are installed and the adapter cable is plugged in, on XP you will now find Ports listed in Device Manager. You should then find the cable listed under Ports, and in the Properties for the cable, go to Port Settings, Advanced, where you should have the ability to select COM 1 for the cable.

Thanks for your help.

it's an old laptop with a fresh install of XP pro.

Having problems with the EXE because it wouldn't write a temp file, and that's down to read only permissions set by Windows.

I have a USB converter and have read about the com port saga.

I'll have a crack tonight at copying to the desktop and going from there.

You'll definitely have less problems when you've copied the EXE to the hard drive. I've had a look, and I copied the whole lot to a folder with the same name of the mini-CD (the folder is still there on the laptop).

btw you can "test" the adapter cable without the HDS installed i.e. when you've installed the drivers and plugged in the cable, you can check to see the settings in Device Manager (if it's like mine, when the cable is not plugged in, "Ports" are no longer listed in Device Manager, but "Ports" reappears when you plug the cable back in)

Cool. I'm sure it'll make more sense when I reach that hurdle. I'm much happier fixing things with a spanner rather than a computer.

Copied it all to a folder on the desktop and it still wouldn't have it.

It's doing my swede in.

We might be getting into operating system issues, I suspect that you do not have the "user permissions" set to install everything (HDS creates quite a few directories in quite a few places).

If you think that "user permissions" are ok, then check that what you have in the folder is same as on the CD

To do that, you need to open two "file managers" side by side, and compare the list of files and folders on the CD, with the list of files and folders in the desktop folder.

If they look the same, then one at a time, compare the properties for each by right-clicking on each file/folder (one at a time) and go to properties for that file/folder, and compare the properties with the same file/folder in the other "file manager" (ignore "size on disk" in properties). It would be very strange if any file was actually a different "size", but something might be missing.

Yeah, it won't write the file to the temp folder, even under the admin account. Also when I go obthevtemp file properties, the read only checkbox has a block in it, but not a tick, not sure if that's a red herring.

The contents of the folders appear the same, but will double check. Have emailed the supplier and they've sent me a link to download the software from them, so I'll try that too.

I could be wrong, but it sounds more like an issue with operating system settings.

That's what it seems, but it'll happily install the other programs. The file it tries to install to cannot have that box unchecked, even using the admin account, it's a known Windows xp problem.
its a fresh install of Windows too, yet it won't install as per their instructional video.
They're offering to link to the laptop to install it for me later, so I'll let them get it done. No personal information on it yet, so not too worried about them having a go.

What's the exactly directory path its complaining about? Can you manually create a text file in that directory?

It's the temp folder within the my documents folder, but it says it can't write to it.
Could there be a limit set on the size of file that it will allow it to write to that folder? The HDS install folder's something like 1.9gb I think.

Very strange, IIRC there were no problems with the install once I'd copied the mini-CD into a desktop folder.

If they are prepared to do the install, go for it ;)

edit: I vaguely remember having a similar issue on the read-only check box on something else a long time ago, I think it was something in "Component Services" but I can't remember what it was or how I got round it,

Haha! Got there in the end.

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction Freddofrog.

I ended up downloading the software from them direct, which installed as it should've, implying that there was a problem with the disc I was sent.

The second nightmare came with configuring the COM1 port for the usb/serial connection.
My fresh XP install wouldn't show COM PORTS under device manager, even though they were on in BIOS.
Eventually I managed to get it to display via the add hardware function, but that was through trial and error, as everything on the Internet told me to configure the connection under COM PORTS in device manager, which was my problem anyway.

Once I'd done this, setting the USB to COM1 was easy, but finding an appropriate driver for the conversion cable became a 'mare.

Ultimately it's swallowed up about 15 hours of my life this week, and guess what the problem is with my guaranteed to work, but used VSA unit?

Good 'ole 66-01!!

Plop!

Now to fight some eBay dude for my money back.
At least I paid via PayPal should he try to make it difficult.

yep, the thread ***le is true, let this be a warning to anyone else :ph34r:

I'm a bit puzzled about the BIOS though, maybe I misled you, normally you only need to go into BIOS if your hardware has built-in RS232. Otherwise, the drivers for the adapter-cable should get Ports listed in Device Manager (with the cable plugged in). Once Ports are listed, if problems continue after that, there might be a conflict with something else that's using COM 1, and then you need to check other things in Device Manager and/or BIOS.

But as you say, getting the right drivers for the cable is not easy.

It's interesting how someone can sell a "guaranteed to work" VSA unit (without their own HDS before they took it out) :eek:

I went into BIOS because I figured that the Ports weren't showing in device manager because they were turned off in BIOS, but they were enabled.

As you say, you have to be committed if you want an HDS. Great bit of kit to have once you've put all the legwork in though.

I can sympathise with the guy breaking the car. Reckon it's had no warning light and shown nothing on an OBD2 (when it wouldn't show a VSA fault anyway).
I reckon it's taken a whack when it was couriers, as we know a decent thump can push them over the edge, and we all probably have horror stories of damaged goods to tell.

He's said he'll do me a full refund, and I've always got PayPal backup if I need it. At least I have my original unit here to go for repair. Just a bit miffed that I'll have to rip the headlamp out again and do another brake bleed.

Bump for Channel Hopper

Can I ask where you purchased the the Honda HDS from? Also is this the same as the Honda garages use? I'm thinking about buying this set up.

Just an eBay job around 18 months ago.
Came in from China or something, but works as intended and they were helpful when I was struggling with the setup - I'll see if I can find the seller details.

Seller was zeus_tech

padraic said:
Can I ask where you purchased the the Honda HDS from? Also is this the same as the Honda garages use? I'm thinking about buying this set up.
We get them from ebay. They are all clones of the proper Honda HDS/HIM , not as good as the ones that the dealers have, but far cheaper and good enough for DIY stuff.

HIM = Honda Interface Module (the hardware)
HDS = Honda Diagnostic System (the software)

put "Honda HDS HIM" (without quotes) into the search box in ebay

usually several sellers at any time, prices typically range from £80 (min) to £130 (max)

Channel Hopper said:
It's a bigger unit in the flesh. The eBay images make it look the size of a gherkin when it's more a decent slab of rock salmon.
I don't know what Matt sent you but the gherkin looks huge in this picture

https://cdn.londonandpartners.com/***et/5e70201617e5e2a06fa41bec5c37b51d.jpg

freddofrog said:
We get them from ebay. They are all clones of the proper Honda HDS/HIM , not as good as the ones that the dealers have, but far cheaper and good enough for DIY stuff...
In what way are they not so good? Do they have reduced or impaired functionality?

freddofrog said:
I don't know what Matt sent you but the gherkin looks huge in this picture

https://cdn.londonandpartners.com/***et/5e70201617e5e2a06fa41bec5c37b51d.jpg
I spent a year on site (2003-ish) surveying, designing and scheduling hundreds of individual steel panels on the fit out on that bleedin' thing.

30 stories to my office in the morning and evening in full motorcycle kit as the lifts didn't run at those times.

Never been so fit though.

Jon_G said:
I've heard those myths too, but I've no idea why they should be true?
I don't think it is a myth, the HDS/HIM clones are only OBD readers with the ability to read the B-CAN, if one tries to write anything to an ECU, one risks bricking the ECU.

There is a big difference between reading and writing ....

apostrophe-JOKE.jpg

same adage applies to data comms