What's new

Orange triangle warning light on only, nothing else

rogro

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hi
My car came back from the garage with the orange triangle light on.
I know this wasn't on prior.
No other lights are on just the triangle and when i press the vsa button nothing happens.
They must have disconnected the battery because the radio wasn't tuned in anymore and the trip computer was reset

My oilpump chain snapped from a 2006 2.2 ctdi exec with 109000 miles on the clock.
This is the reason why it went to the garage.
I did mention it and they will take it back in next Friday to investigate.
I bought a D900 scanning tool and checked but no DLC's are flagging up.

Hope someone can tel me what a single orange triangle light means.

Regards
Rogro

if it's a VSA fault, you can only read the DTC's for the ABS/VSA unit with a Honda HDS (or an expensive/professional generic scanner)

accord_n22 said:
It may be VSA related but that should be throwing up some codes.
you definitely cannot read the ABS/VSA codes with a "cheap" generic reader ...Fahad will confirm

Correct. You need a diagnostic tool that can scan an ABS module.

Hi all
Thanks for you reply.
I have read a lot about the vsa and abs faults in the forums but there is not a lot on single triangle lights.
My main concern is that it fails the mot which is due in April after paying out on the oilpump repair.
As far I understand from the manual it means a reminder that the VSA is switched off.
It doesn't flash nor switches off and the car drives normal without any strange noises or power loss.
Regards
Ronny

If the MOT-tester cannot turn the VSA light off, then he/she should fail the MOT.
It does seem daft when ....A. I always drive with VSA off ...B. some 7th gen Accords do not have VSA
But the reason for fail might be that VSA is related to ABS

Hi
I read the fault code with the paperclip method and the abs light flickers 8 long and 4 shorts
Display says SCS service and DTC No.
Anyone can point me in the direction what fault code 8-4 means and is there a (paperclip) way to clear it?
Thanks
Ronny

Out of interest have you considered taking it back to the garage to diagnoise who did the work originally?

Hi Iron Man
Yes, it will go back Friday.
I want to find out as much as I can because I know that this light wasn't on when the car broke down.
I think that they have forgotten to re-connect something.
If I read the honda manual correctly the single orange triangle light is to remind me that the VSA is turned off but I can't turn it back on.
The garage (local non honda) allready defend themselves by saying that the car wasn't running when they got it so they where unable to check it.
Therefor if they present me a large bill with bullsh*t I can answer back somehow.
Thanks
Ronny

84 is "VSA Pressure Sensor Neutral Position"

I think it can be cleared by using an HDS to re-memorize the new pressure position. If it cannot be cleared this way, it needs a new module.

Hi Freddofrog
Do you know where this VSA pressure sensor is located.
Could it been altered, knocked or disconnected while replacing the oilpump tensioners and turbo.

If it needs a new module, are you talking about the £2000 VSA Job.
Thanks
Ronny

It will be inside the ABS/VSA module, it will be sensing the brake fluid pressure. I've no idea if it can be affected in any way by working on anything else in the engine bay, but yes if it needs replacing it is the ABS/VSA module.

I'm all a bit confused by this.
The ABS is working fine, tested it down hill on a slippery lane.
No warning lights from the ABS or VSA just the orange triangle.
So fingers crossed that it is something trivial.
Well we will find out on Friday

As well as being a traction-control, VSA can also correct oversteer or understeer, and I think (I don't know for sure) that VSA works by using individual braking to apply the correction. So it is different from ABS.
Since VSA is supposedly a "safety device" (deliberate use of ""), that will be the reason why it is an MOT failure, but it is odd that this "safety device" is not a feature on all the Accords.

I kind of understand but why does the VSA light doesn't light up showing a fault.
It lights up for a couple of seconds when the key is in the ignition and then it goes off and stays off, like there is no fault with the VSA.

rogro said:
My car came back from the garage with the orange triangle light on.
I know this wasn't on prior.
No other lights are on just the triangle and when i press the vsa button nothing happens.

rogro said:
I kind of understand but why does the VSA light doesn't light up showing a fault.
It lights up for a couple of seconds when the key is in the ignition and then it goes off and stays off, like there is no fault with the VSA.
I'm confused now. Your initial post implies that the VSA light stays on all the time. But now you say it goes off after a couple of seconds.

The VSA light staying on permanently would indicate that VSA is not working (either due to a fault, or because the driver had turned it off using the switch).

From when you started this thread, if you actually meant that the VSA light comes on for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition, and then goes off and stays off ......this is normal :eek:

If that is the situation, then the fact that you have also found a DTC in the ABS/VSA module, now indicates that it's an old (historic) code that no longer applies.

Sorry if I have confused things

The only light wich stays on is the orange triangle with the exclamation mark.
All other lights like oil, battery, ABS and VSA (letters) dissappear after a few seconds.
When I press the VSA button nothing happens at all, the orange triangle with the exclamation mark stays on regardless.

Hope this makes sence.
Regards
Ronny

Makes sense, and as already advised your VSA is NOT working. The triangle indicates the system is disarmed. Until you find and solve the root cause it will not allow you to arm it.

Haha @ Freddofrog, "safety device"

My wagon does tend to lift-off oversteer on greasy roundabouts. It's a big pendum with Chinese ditchfinders on the back at the moment.

Not sure what the VSA would make of it. Probably straighten it out straight into the kerb, whereas a sniff of opposite lock cures things beautifully.

Shame I can't do a full VSA delete on it to get better feel at the brake pedal.

rogro said:
Sorry if I have confused things

The only light wich stays on is the orange triangle with the exclamation mark.
All other lights like oil, battery, ABS and VSA (letters) dissappear after a few seconds.
When I press the VSA button nothing happens at all, the orange triangle with the exclamation mark stays on regardless.

Hope this makes sence.
Regards
Ronny
ahhh ok, I didn't realise you were differentiating between the triangle and the "VSA" letters.

When VSA is not faulty, when the ignition is first turned on the triangle and "VSA" should both light up for a few seconds, and then both should go out. The switch is a toggle switch (not a latching switch) so if VSA was previously disabled by the driver, when the ignition is turned on again, VSA will no longer be disabled i.e. the driver will have to disable it again if they don't want it working again. If the warning triangle stays on before the driver presses the switch, it indicates a fault, and pressing the switch will have no effect.

F6HAD said:
Makes sense, and as already advised your VSA is NOT working. The triangle indicates the system is disarmed. Until you find and solve the root cause it will not allow you to arm it.
As Fahad says, next step is to find out why, and hopefully it can be put right without needing to replace the whole module. You might want to read this .....
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21189-04-accord-22-icdti-re-map/?p=225003

If it can't be fixed, Matt (Goodluckmonkey) has replaced his .....
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21131-66-01-vsa-light-fix/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21131-66-01-vsa-light-fix/

Goodluckmonkey said:
Haha @ Freddofrog, "safety device"

My wagon does tend to lift-off oversteer on greasy roundabouts. It's a big pendum with Chinese ditchfinders on the back at the moment.

Not sure what the VSA would make of it. Probably straighten it out straight into the kerb, whereas a sniff of opposite lock cures things beautifully.

Shame I can't do a full VSA delete on it to get better feel at the brake pedal.
I nearly always drive with VSA OFF. Nice to get the front wheels spinning and sliding in wet weather (a tad of understeer), and some oversteer sometimes as well. There was a time when I had a slow puncture on the left rear (which I knew of) and it had been raining ...went into a 2-lane roundabout rather fast with other traffic on the roundabout, and the rear end decided to keep going straight on. It's amazing how quickly you automatically go to opposite lock when you're used to oversteer, and the sub-cnscious part of the brain also gives you a comment about the slow puncture LOL

Thanks guys

I'm more wiser now.
Lets see what happens Friday when the car goes back in.
Regards
Ronny

Hi
Car went in on Friday and the warning light only needed an reset.
Reason for it to trigger is not clear but could be related to the battery.
At least a big worry over.
Regards
Ronny