What's new

Yet another Accord Boot/Tailgate problem

piggzy

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Hi guys,

Noob here. Have read through the varying and many Boot problem thread on here but not finding a solution to my problem so thought I would post my exact issues hoping for a pointer in the right direction.

Honda Accord Tourer 2004 UK Model
Only had it 6 months and since I had it the automatic opening/closing has never worked but that never bothered me as the exterior handle popped the boot fine.
Maybe coincidence but had to replace battery about 3 weeks ago as it simply died.
4 Days ago. NO BOOT. Was sudden, wasnt intermittent just went completely with no warning.

Thought I would try the ECU reset I see mentioned but I see so many different ways people say to do it?!?!?!?
How should I do the ECU reset please?

I tried by completely disconnecting battery for 15mins. This results in the boot opening ONCE. As soon as you close it again you are back to square one unless you disconnect battery for ages again??

As it will open after a battery disconnect I ***ume that wiring and actual boot exterior handle/switch are fine so possible ECU screwed or needs a better reset than I am doing.

Have checked fuse also fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Much appreciated.

Do you have tailgate light on the dashboard? I would recommend checking the wires which run through the left side, in many cases, the cause is broken wires.
I've fixed them twice, they just wore out. Second time just extended 2-3 of them, so that there is less flex when opening/closing the tailgate.
2015-09-122.jpg

2015-09-12.jpg

would one of these wires feed the rear fog light?

basically, mine doesnt work , but i get the dash light come on and the bulb and fuse are ok,

Not sure about the fog light, but probably, yes, don't know if there are any other cables running to the tailgate.

Only the upper left plastic trim needs to be removed, and the plastic thingy in which the cables are running to the tailgate. On the picture, I have removed more than needed in order to reach the motor, but only the wires were the problem.

thanks for that
my tailgate goes half way then back down so its seems like the clutch but i will stick on the new one and clean the old one up

I have only recently bought a 2004 Tourer and whilst on the drive the tailgate stopped working: tried resetting it to no avail: anyway the drive is on a gentle slope and so I turned the car around to face up the slope and no further issues since then

Peel back the headlining and check the wiring loom carefully for any broken wires.