What's new

Tourer binding rear brakes freeing off.

anparkinson

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 Accord 2.0
I noticed both rear wheels were getting hot on my 2007 2.0 tourer. When I jacked the car up both wheels were not free to turn. As soon as I removed the caliper (2 x 12mm bolts) the wheel turned freely so obviously I had the sticky caliper issue.

The pads were worn - £20 from Europarts for a new set. I filed and smoothed the new pads so they moved freely in the calipers and put a bit of coper grease on them.

The rubbers on the calipers were good so I pulled them back and squirted WD40 down the side of the piston. I then pumped the pistons out with a bit of wood about an inch thick where the disc would go to stop the piston popping right out. Then I wound the piston back in with a G-clamp.

I did this about 6 or 7 times and also rotated the piston round a few times with a pipe wrench when it was out. I could feel it freeing off as I did this.

It all went back together very easily and now my discs and wheels stay really cool. Maybe it's my imagination but the brakes feel sharper too, which makes sense if the pistons were sticking.

I was concerned that there was a chance of damaging the piston seal if there was corrosion or dirt on the piston or caliper cylinder which could make it leak but they have stayed dry.

Great stuff glad to see you resolved i have had the biding caliper on the rear and have gone through a brake pad within 8,000 miles. I will strip vehicle down and see what issue is.

Not to sure about the WD? IT COULD DAMAGE THE SEALS, get some red rubber grease and do it again, but you are on the right track, and they are a PIA. Had to replace the hoses on mine as well, they break up on the inside, but see how you go you might be lucky.