What's new

Exhaust fumes in cabin

neilmeagher

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2009 ex idtec
Hi guys, I have exhaust gas fumes smell in the cabin for the last week. It is especially noticeable just after start up or at slow speeds. I have looked under the bonnet and cant see any obvious leaks. I have read on another website that there was a problem with a cracked egr pipe on earlier model 8th gens, Honda issued a tsb regarding the problem. Just wondering has anyone else experienced this problem.

Yes it's quite a common issue. The aluminium egr bypass pipe cracks at the bend.

This is why we blank the egr as part of the tuning and DPF removal so even if the pipe cracks, it will be empty.

Have a good smell around the nearside front and side of the engine with it running, if it's bad you can sometimes hear it leaking.

Interesting to read this as I've had the same. I'm no mechanic so have to ask can this occur on both diesel and petrol?

Yes an exhaust manifold or related pipe can crack on either petrol or diesel. Not seen one happen on a petrol Honda yet though.

hale-pope said:
Interesting to read this as I've had the same. I'm no mechanic so have to ask can this occur on both diesel and petrol?
On another post I think I noticed your car is also i-DTEC ?

Anyway, all "modern" diesels have an "external" EGR (external = pipes and mechanisms outside the engine), but not all "modern" petrol engines have "external" EGR (e.g. the K24 doesn't, it uses valve overlap inside the engine)

It really depends on your level of competence. The EGR is at the back of the engine, and quite involved in removal. Better to blank and get rid of the problem permanently.

And if the nuts and bolts come undone easy. I had one to do and it was a right pain as everything was seized or sheared.

I had a new EGR pipe fitted yesterday as my old one was cracked. Genuine part but my indie did the work. £400. Runs like a dream now. I am sure it would have run fine with the crack and it passed its MOT with it cracked and hissing and stinking of diesel but I plan to keep this car for a long time yet.