What's new

Need Advice, 8th Gen Type S Issues.

Grey

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Hello all,

I bought my 2010 8th Gen Type S in January 2016 with around 51k miles on the clock from Brown Brothers Honda in Peebles, Scotland and fell in love with it immediately. Gorgeous car and drove very nicely. I also got the 1 year Honda Used Car Warranty for parts/labour for all Honda dealers. Winner!...

Fast forward 3 months and I have a few niggles. I returned from deployment a month ago and when driving the car i could feel a slight vibration up the pedal especially when letting the clutch back out. Another issue i found is that some gears feel like i really need to push the stick into the gear position, a slight graunch as it overcomes whatever is holding it back (clutch fully depressed when changing gears). This gearing issue is especially evident when coming down the gears to stop the car for example at a roundabout and i need to use 2nd and 1st gear.

I took the car into Grierson and Graham Honda in Dumfries, Scotland with the above issues and they took it off my hands for 2 hours (drove past the deal an hour after i dropped it off and they hadn't moved it from where i left it :huh:) They rang me up and said that the car was all sorted, winner!. The didn't do a bloody thing to the car, when i promptly returned to the dealer to ask what work they had done I was greeted by a grumpy service manager who said there was nothing wrong with the car. We took it for a drive (him driving) and he moaned for a while saying he felt nothing, then said that CRV's get this issue, then said that the vibration was a characteristic of the new generation of Duel Mass Flywheels. I owned a 7th Gen diesel Accord before this and have driving various makes of car recently and have never felt this in a clutch, so I took what he was saying for utter rubbish...

Fast forward a month later and I'm back down in Cornwall where I work, still not happy with the feeling from the clutch and gearing issue so I booked the car in to Rowes Honda in Truro, Cornwall. The staff were very friendly and helpful but upon receiving the outcome of their investigating my jaw almost hit the floor. So according to Rowes my Duel Mass Flywheel is the issue and it will be a £2000ish job. They would do the job but they require the customers consent to drop the gearbox and take pictures to send to Honda as if it's one tolerance that's gone they would replace it and if it's the other I will be paying the vast sum of money to replace :unsure:.

Here's the fun part, I paid just over £10000 for the '10 plate Honda Accord Type S with it's 51k-ish miles, in the 3 months of owning it I have only covered 2000 miles, 1500 of which have been on the motorway travelling from Dumfries - Cornwall where the car cruises happily.

Does anyone have any advice to help me tackle this issue? I absolutely DO NOT want to be paying £2000 just after buying what was suppose to be an absolutely mint car. Salt in the wound considering that I spent a year looking for a good Type S :(

-Grey

328689dcd7.jpg

Give Honda uk a call and explain your not happy with paying out 2k if the dmf is ok.
After all a Honda dealership has diognosed the fault to be the dmf.
I had this with my old 7th gen and was put off by the dealers like yourself.
Only to pay 1 year later for a new clutch and friction plate.

brett said:
Give Honda uk a call and explain your not happy with paying out 2k if the dmf is ok.
After all a Honda dealership has diognosed the fault to be the dmf.
I had this with my old 7th gen and was put off by the dealers like yourself.
Only to pay 1 year later for a new clutch and friction plate.
I've been debating giving Honda UK a call, Rowes Honda suggested that I give the original dealer (Brown Brothers Honda) a call regarding the issue.

Now having spoken to Brown Brothers Honda they want the car back up in Peebles, Scotland where they can diagnose the faults themselves.

This is a massive pain in the back side as Peebles is nearly 600 miles away from where I work and thus a 1200 mile round trip and for all i know they could side with Grierson and Graham Honda and say there's nothing wrong or they could side with Rowes Honda and say they i'm probably going to have to pay up.

Starting to go off Hondas a little bit here :(

We did a clutch and flywheel on one of these just a few months ago, you're looking at less than half the cost of that for it to be done independently.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1010149785722655.1073742070.148037185267257&type=3

I would agree, it does sound like a flywheel vibration and failing clutch pressure plate causing the gear notchiness. I would just live with it for a while, and have the transmission fluid done first. If you're away on deployment, then presumably your car isn't being used for long periods of time? this also won't be helping things.

F6HAD said:
We did a clutch and flywheel on one of these just a few months ago, you're looking at less than half the cost of that for it to be done independently.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1010149785722655.1073742070.148037185267257&type=3

I would agree, it does sound like a flywheel vibration and failing clutch pressure plate causing the gear notchiness. I would just live with it for a while, and have the transmission fluid done first. If you're away on deployment, then presumably your car isn't being used for long periods of time? this also won't be helping things.
Cheers Fahad, I saw that post a on the Premier Tuning facebook page a short while back ;)

I'll most likely take the car up to Brown Brothers in the near future and let them have a play with the car to get their verdict as the car was bought brand new from them and has always returned back to that garage so they know the history of the car. If worst comes to worst and they say that it needs replacing i'll be giving you a call Fahad, as i know you're the guru of all things Accords and Diesels in particular B)

Luckily the only deployment I've been away on during the time I've owned the car was a short 2 month trip and the Mrs ran the car once/twice a week, probably not properly as it's much bigger than what she's used to driving (Ford Fiesta :p )

I'll take your advice in the meantime and look into changing the transmission fluid, the car is still completely drivable but the knowledge that this issue is waiting to pounce on me is unnerving. Plus, that bloomin' clutch vibration is doing my head in! :blink:

-Grey

Grey said:
I've been debating giving Honda UK a call, Rowes Honda suggested that I give the original dealer (Brown Brothers Honda) a call regarding the issue.

Now having spoken to Brown Brothers Honda they want the car back up in Peebles, Scotland where they can diagnose the faults themselves.

This is a massive pain in the back side as Peebles is nearly 600 miles away from where I work and thus a 1200 mile round trip and for all i know they could side with Grierson and Graham Honda and say there's nothing wrong or they could side with Rowes Honda and say they i'm probably going to have to pay up.

Starting to go off Hondas a little bit here :(
Should have started there! they issued the warranty, why involve others? As regards to history forget it, just claim on their warranty you will have paid for that in the purchase price.

edgeoftime said:
Should have started there! they issued the warranty, why involve others? As regards to history forget it, just claim on their warranty you will have paid for that in the purchase price.
I rang Brown Brothers first when the whole issue started but sadly because they are a smaller Honda dealership they didn't have any workshop slots available to look at the car whilst I was back on leave up in Dumfries and thus their service manager pointed me towards Grierson and Graham Honda (See first post; grumpy guy). I'll be taking the car up to Brown Brothers soon to see what they can do, the ever helpful salesman who couldn't do enough for me when I was buying the car was more than happy to put me on hold for 15 mins then transfer me to someone else, I can tell this is going to be a bit of a battle.

-Grey

freddofrog said:
tbh I've also come to the conclusion that once a Honda is over ~6 years old, Honda dealers are no different to any other dealers.

You might be able to go down the route of asking for your money back under Consumer Rights Act 2015 https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

but as you will read, you must give the dealer you purchsed it from, the chance to look at it and to discuss it.
Cheers Brian, I'm starting to feel the same way about the dealers. Only time will tell how this story is going to play out :wacko:

I'll keep that link saved just in case things get drastic ;)

-Grey

Grey said:
I rang Brown Brothers first when the whole issue started but sadly because they are a smaller Honda dealership they didn't have any workshop slots available to look at the car whilst I was back on leave up in Dumfries and thus their service manager pointed me towards Grierson and Graham Honda (See first post; grumpy guy). I'll be taking the car up to Brown Brothers soon to see what they can do, the ever helpful salesman who couldn't do enough for me when I was buying the car was more than happy to put me on hold for 15 mins then transfer me to someone else, I can tell this is going to be a bit of a battle.

-Grey
Maybe they already knew what your complaint was, and dodged the column?? Park it through the front window, or something.

edgeoftime said:
Maybe they already knew what your complaint was, and dodged the column?? Park it through the front window, or something.

I'll block the managers car in ;) That'll get the ball rolling! :lol:

Is there any need to hoof it all the way back to Scotland if you're going to claim on the warranty rather than claiming against the selling dealer?

Cliffordski said:
Is there any need to hoof it all the way back to Scotland if you're going to claim on the warranty rather than claiming against the selling dealer?
that's a good point, and difficult to know what the right answer is.

The way I see it is this (though I could be wrong): each dealer that is franchised to a marque (in this case, franchised to Honda UK) is in effect independent, it's only the franchiser that holds some power over the franchisee, but the extent of power will be outlined in the Ts & Cs in the franchise document.

So the first port of call should always be the franchisee, in this case, Brown Brother in Peebles. Regarding the warranty, it's difficult to know how that could be applied to a different franchisee, in effect it would be the franchiser (Honda UK) who decides.

In other words, if Honda UK decide that the warranty covers parts and labour for this then any dealer should be able to do it, but if Honda UK decide that the warranty does not fully cover it, then you have to take it up with the dealer who sold the car, using Consumer Protection law.

What does the warranty contract say about the DMF? Many second hand warranties exclude fair wear & tear.

Interesting comment from Rowe abut how one 'tolerance' (?) is covered but another isn't.

I've just had flywheel, clutch and clutch master cylinder changed all under warranty by Honda
They quoted £3500 all in
I had the same judder
The type s has more power but the same flywheel as the rest of the range, it suffers and Honda know this.
Tolerance is 40mm and mine was 43mm so fully covered.
They did however state to me it would cost £500 to drop the box and send pictures to Honda and £500 to put it back together if Honda didn't agree to the work and I wanted to leave it the cost would have been £1000 to diagnose it.
I wasn't going to do that, however the dealer checked and the other week they were doing a discount on the clutch fitted so fitted was £500 and the flywheel was also on special at £300
So with this in mind if Honda had decided not to pay I would have had to pay £800 which was better than the £3500 originally quoted.
Anyway as stated it was out on tolerance and Honda paid the lot.
This was at Vertu Honda in Durham

Yes idtec type s
80000 miles
It had a judder I said was engine mounts but they seemed to think was clutch hence why it got done
After done still has judder lol