Problem take out first gear on high revs - 2.4 manual

taryfa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport+
Hi all.
I've got little problem:
When i press first gear and go on high revs (almost up to the end) and i want fast change to a second gear that first gear is very hard to take out.
Like is get stuck on high revs and i have to use lots energy to take gear out.
Rest gears are fine.
I changed gearbox oil (MTF from Honda) - still this same
Have you got this same on yours 2.4?
Any ideas what that can be?

Thanks

Peter I'm sure this is a normal thing with our cars as being in high revs seem to be like this.
As I said if I hit 7k in 2nd gear 3rd gear can be harder to ingage than if in low revs.

Remind me to buy from a vicar should I ever go petrol! and why not try just shoving the stick leaving the clutch pedal were it is like the bikers do? That should solve the problem, keep your eye in the rear view mirror the gearbox will be in the road behind you. LOL

edgeoftime said:
Remind me to buy from a vicar should I ever go petrol! and why not try just shoving the stick leaving the clutch pedal were it is like the bikers do? That should solve the problem, keep your eye in the rear view mirror the gearbox will be in the road behind you. LOL
Lol I don't drive like this all the time John only if I need to but its dam fun.
The type R and S2000 redline at 9k I think.

edgeoftime said:
what sort of an idiot revs to 7,000 rpm get your self a race car!!
:lol: you now this is a Honda forum, John? ;)

I know this is an old thread but I was just searching the forum for something else and came across it. I was recently looking through the acurazine forum at the 2nd gen TSX (same as our Accord 8th) and read this thread about clutch delay valve removal. Please note I have not done this so cannot confirm it works. I may try it at some point though....

The photos are missing from the thread, but post no. 30 has a link to the American Civic forum with a guide that is apparently pretty much the same procedure.
According to that thread taking out the delay valve wil result in a:
  • bit stiffer clutch
  • better clutch response
  • no more clutch slipping

Post no. 337 has some good tips for anyone who wants to do this. Debating whether or not to be the guinea pig myself, but if it goes bad £170 for a new CSC is quite a bit of cash (think this is the right one).

Quote from the acurazine thread "Like every other newer Honda's, they added the delay valve in the clutch slave cylinder so you can't pop the clutch for aggressive shifting. Ever since I removed this valve, I am now able to pop into gears a lot faster."

Quote from the Civic thread "For the one who drive their car hard, you must have noticed that when you shift hard the clutch has a tendency to ''slip'' just a bit!! Thats because of the Clutch delay valve in the slave cylinder, its there to prevent transmission component damage due to slowly releasing the pressure in the slave, but make the clutch wear faster!!!"

Once again please note i cannot confirm or deny any of this, but thought it interesting to share.

Last edited:
So this evening I deleted the delay valve from my clutch slave cylinder and I can confirm that it does indeed work! Clutch feels pretty much the same in terms of stiffness, but I had no problem slamming it from 1st to 2nd multiple times this evening, where as before it would sometimes crunch. The shift feels more predictable I’d say. I took lots of pictures so I’ll post a guide at some point; hopefully I’ll get time this weekend.

Last edited:
I think it's best to go high in first, but then don't rush the change from first to second.

Two separate stages, first to neutral, then neutral to second.

Otherwise, as well as struggling to get out of first, second might not engage at all, and the revs go through the roof but the car slows to a crawl.

Very embarrassing.

So I'm told.

I think it's best to go high in first, but then don't rush the change from first to second.

Two separate stages, first to neutral, then neutral to second.

Otherwise, as well as struggling to get out of first, second might not engage at all, and the revs go through the roof but the car slows to a crawl.

Very embarrassing.

So I'm told.
Haha can confirm it is embarrassing indeed! That’s basically what the valve does though, it forces you to shift more slowly. Now that I’ve removed it the issue is gone, so when I occasionally want to zip through the gears I can without the potential for a forced slip caused by the valve. As an added bonus I now know how to bleed a clutch line too.