What's new

2.4 Auto runs rough @ 1800-2000rpm in 4th and 5th

the_smiley_man

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2005 2.4 Auto
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2005 Accord 2.4 Auto petrol with a mileage of 130000 miles. Having covered some 500 miles in it I have found one problem. Between 1800 and 2100 rpm in 5th gear (55-60ish mph) the engine runs rough and lumpy, almost a feeling that it wants to stall. The revs don't drop and kicking down the gear cures the problem with the increase in revs.

Any ideas?
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Paul

Are you manually shifting or autoshifting?
Are you saying that in 4-5th gear, when accelerating it does not go over 2000 rpm?

I'm in auto shifting when problem occurs. When problem is present I have switched to manual to try and see what gear was in use, hence my comment about 5th gear.

The car accelerates well right up to red zone if needed.

The lumpy running occurs in the 1800 to 2100 rpm range when trying to maintain a speed of around 55 - 60 mph.

I think I have the same symptoms, but I never noticed the speed, only rpms between 1800-2200. The thin is I cannot reproduce it, it happens randomly.
If anyone has found the cause for this I will be thankful, and guy who opened the topic as well.
I consulted 2 auto tranny repair shops and both garages they told me the tranny is healthy. So it is something else. I suspect bad fuel, bad air mixture, throttle body, just guessing.

Most likely sticking throttle body.

Clean it out and ensure the butterfly valve is seating correctly.

I would also whip off the inlet manifold and clean it out, and replace the inlet manifold gasket.

Did this on my wife's k20 FRV and made the world of difference. Also worth ensuing your valve clearances are set correctly at the same time.

I did the valve clearance around 2 months ago, and that is when I asked the guy to check the TB and clean it.
Now I will find someone to do it, as well as the inlet manifold gasket and change the gasket. I also might consider getting the Air Intake pipe from the air cleaner to the TB inlet cleaned as well.
This will not happen soon as I am out of money, but I will post results when I had it done.

Thanks F6HAD!