What's new

Two things?

scotsgent

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2010. ES GT
I am gradually getting to know my new motor: 2010 Accord Tourer ES GT 2.2.

1) The windscreen washer pressure is pretty weak and in fact the rear one does not work at all.

I suspect a blocked filter. I believe there is a filter built into the fixing plug where the pump fits into the washer?.

So..........what's the best/easiest way to access the pump? - by removing the front bumper OR getting access through the drivers side wheel arch? Also, on the 8th generation is there one pump for all washers or separate ones for the front and rear? (I have no headlight washers).

2) I needed to pull a fuse from the drivers side internal fusebox - this seems a most inconvenient location! Am I missing something? - does it swing out or something?

Thanks, Terry

I have answered one of my questions!

Access to the washer bottle pump is easily achieved by taking of the wheel, jacking, inserting an axle stand (and in my case also building a support with wooden blocks under the front central jacking point to minimise the chances of a collapse whilst I'm working under the wheel).

Then remove a few clips and 3 screws and the flexible forward section of the wheel liner can be peeled back revealing the washer bottle.

Under and to the front is the single pump. It is 'plugged' into the bottle via a rubber sealing 'grommet'. I removed the pump, unclipped the two water lines (one for the front and one for the rear) and unclipped the electrical connector.

I took the pump into the house and examined it, expecting to find a filter of some sort and hoping it would be partially blocked causing my lack of pressure. However, no filter was found either in the pump or bottle.

I was able to disconnect some of the washer lines in the car and blew hard through each one after finding some connectors en-route which allowed me to break into the lines.

This seems to have sorted things and I guess there might have been an algae build up in the pipes.

I expected to find a filter? There is a fair bit of algae in the bottom of the bottle which would need removing and 'back flushing' to remove, (or maybe a bleach solution pouring into the bottle, leaving overnight and then draining by pulling out the washer pump)?

Cheers, Terry