What's new

EGR Blanking

Cheddars

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Astra Twintop
Back when I owned an Astra the egr valve could be blanked off with a small plate (provided by Vauxhall) and cheated by connecting a small circuit board in place, which was provided by another vauxhall enthusiast. Some cheap skates just used a blanking plate and left the egr valve connected and cable tied elsewhere in the engine bay with no adverse effects.

My Honda is having some symptoms similar to my old car which were fixed by removing the egr valve and instead of removing the egr plate to clean and letting it clog back up, is there anything to stop me just making up a small bit of plate and leave the egr valve connected? Are these Hondas sensitive to this?

I've had a good search, but cant find anything about using a blanking plate :ph34r:

Not searched hard enough then mate. The egr is an integral part of the engine management system on this car. It needs to be blanked and the software modified properly to ensure it is only requesting raw air.

Drop me a line if you want pricing.

I've seen the ATR boys have done it, just wondering if it can be done on a f20b6

Sorry what engine do you have? Petrol or diesel?

Sorry my bad, thought we were talking diesel.

Generally on a petrol car, it's not necessary to blank an egr as they don't suffer with the same level of soot accumulation as diesel cars. Also as petrol cars run much hotter than diesel, the egr gasses help keep temps lower at the inlet.

I've never blanked a petrol engines egr so can't tell you from firsthand experience.

I'd say just clean the plate rather than blank off the valve. Come MOT time it's gonna fail emissions, as the recirculated exhaust gas cools the combustion temperature and high temperatures lead to NOx production. Obviously, you could just remove the plate at MOT time!
The other question to ask is will the resulting high combustion temperature do any damage to the engine, long term? Anecdotally, I've heard yes. Anyone got a take on this?

You need the EGR on these for it to run properly, so just clean it or otherwise you will run into issues.

Cheers guys, I'll just clean the plate - I was just a little unsure how these Accord's react to this modification.

My last car (Astra 2.2) never had any issues once it was blanked in the 8 years of ownership. At MOT time the emissions were so low they didn't register on their machines and they don't measure nox. Even Vauxhall themselves provided the kit to blank them off since they cause so many running issues.