What's new

Handbrake problem on my Accord Tourer

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
Got a problem with the handbrake on my Accord Tourer , put the handbrake on facing down an hill and it will hold , however the other way around if youve stopped facing uphill and put the handbrake on it wont hold and the car rolls back no matter how hard you pull the hanbrake lever up ?

GAZB said:
Got a problem with the handbrake on my Accord Tourer , put the handbrake on facing down an hill and it will hold , however the other way around if youve stopped facing uphill and put the handbrake on it wont hold and the car rolls back no matter how hard you pull the hanbrake lever up ?
Sounds like stuck brake piston. Give a calipers review.

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

Maybe not enough friction material left on the brake shoes inside the drum. You could try tightening the handbrake cable which is a console-off job or if the shoes are really worn they need replacing. Just replaced mine and it's worthwhile because the improvement is massive.

The handbrake shoes are really thin compared to shoes that have to slow a car down from speed.
I'd bet that one of the shoes linings has come off or worn away and thats what is causing the issue when the wheel rolls backwards
Worthwhile pulling the discs off and checking that everything is OK inside the hub, also check both handbrake cables are still functional.

Thanks will get shoes checked , its in for its 6 month taxi test next couple of weeks so will need sorting