What's new

Rear Brake queries

Swallow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord mk7 ctdi ex
Hi All - loving my Accord Tourer so far after a couple of months of ownership. Just have a couple of questions ref rear brakes.

One of the disk dust shields has fallen/rusted apart - just had the wheel off to inspect and was able to just pull this part off. It had rusted away at the fixing points and consequently been riding on the disc making an irritating noise...

Checked with Holdcroft and its a pricey part for what it is - £80+

Can pattern parts be had anywhere for these? Ive done a quick google search and come up empty..

Secondly, I'd noticed that when putting the handbrake on, on a hill, the car would roll back a few inches and then stop with a clunk. While I had the rear wheel in the air, handbrake on, I was able to turn the wheel a bit, ie as if rolling the car back and forth.

Is this normal or a sign of something quite wrong with the handbrake shoes? handbrake does hold tight but the little bit of rolling before it does so is a bit disconcerting, a bit like putting an automatic car into "park", although this is a manual car...

Thanks in advance, Tom

Hi Swallow,

You find a second hand dust guard, just search around.
Regarding the handbrake, I think there is a fresh topic on this, just find it on the main page of Accord 7 Section, shortly it was suggested that issue comes from the shoes.

If there was so much rust to cut off the dust guard, better do a detailed check on the rear brakes components, calipers, pistons, etc.

these rear shields seem to be coming up frequently these days, there's another recent and slightly longer thread here http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/20122-tourer-rear-brake-disc-shields-rusted-away/

If you want to inspect the parking brake on the 7th gen Tourer, best thing is to remove the "top-hat" disc/drum

You might need an impact driver to remove the set-screws on the drum (red arrows)

SANY0004%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

when you've got them out, if the drum/disc won't budge, get some bolts in the other holes and see if the drum starts to pull away

SANY0005%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

if the drum/disc does not pull away easily, stop, remove the rubber bung, and slacken the small star-cog through the hole
SANY0007%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

this is what the star-cog looks like with drum removed
SANY0010%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

You will now be able to check the condition of everything, get an ***istant to pull the handbrake lever

Alternatively, and anyway when you put the drums back, remove the centre console to get to the adjuster nut on the handbrake lever and slacken it off

Then use the star-cog on each wheel to adjust the shoes until they are almost rubbing on the drum, then tighten the adjuster nut on the handbrake lever until the slack has gone from the cables.