What's new

Why does my car sound like a flying saucer?

Alans27

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0 se
Sorry gents I've kind of mentioned this in another topic briefly but wanted to start a topic wholly on the subject in order to gather thoughts.

Anyhow, if you stand outside my car with the engine running it sounds sweet as a nut. Yet when sat inside I can hear noises coming from the engine that I've previously described as like a pulley wobble but I can best describe it as like a flying saucer lol. Yes ET has invaded my car! Lol. It's defo not the blower motor as speeding that up makes no difference. It's the engine for sure seen as at certain revs it disappears. It also makes no sound at all when cold, only comes about when the engine warms up. It's quite loud though.

Yet I can sit in the car and hear it loud and clear yet if I step out it sounds fine. That being said there is a slight noise coming from the cylinder head area but that could just be my hearing and it may be elsewhere.

It's as though the engine is making a slight noise and it's somehow being amplified right up when that noise enters the cabin, it's so weird!! I can't work it out.

So what is this flying saucer noise and why is it so much louder sat in the car than standing next to it?

The only other info that may be of use is I think it's overdue a cambelt. Only just got the car, got no record of it being done and we're on 87,000 lol. Going in Monday.

In fact it's definitely something engine related as when I change gear as the revs drop when I press the clutch you can hear the noise die away with the dropping revs.

Got to be a first this, a car sounding like a flying saucer lol.

Oh and another thing, it makes the noise whilst stationary as well so I know it's not wheel nearing or tyres.

Mentioning the clutch brings to mind the possibility of the release bearing being on the brink.
Does it go away with the clutch depressed while stationary?

Driven many a car with that problem. Even had a few where it's died while going along which makes gear changes 'interesting'

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go away when I press the clutch however now you've said that I'll have to check because I'm now doubting myself lol.

Alans27 said:
In fact it's definitely something engine related as when I change gear as the revs drop when I press the clutch you can hear the noise die away with the dropping revs.
This here made me think of it. Usually you can hear these things a mile off, similar to when belts are doing their Flipper impressions.
If you're booked in already for the belts then may be worth waiting to see if it's still there once they've been done.

Can't really think of many other things that would correlate to the engine speed. P/steering and aircon pumps are clutched, alternator would show other symptoms. Wheel bearings ruled out. Pretty much leaves the engine itself and the transmission.

Cars and their noises :)

You actually had me worried there when you suggested the thrust bearing seen as I know along with the clutch bearing the gearbox bearings seem to be a weak spot on these older Hondas. So I've got out of bed early and took it for a quick run lol.

The results are, it makes no difference wether you press the clutch or not the noise is still there and it does change note when you Rev the engine. It sound like a mad vibration sort of low tone squeak from inside a plastic box ha ha. Not the easiest thing to describe. It's definitely engine related and it's definitely a lot louder inside the car then outside. I really hope it's not something mega unpleasant like a camshaft bearing. Given I don't know the history and that.

Other than that, I was wondering if it's the water pump maybe? It's funny how it's a lot louder inside the car than outside.

Oh yeah, cars and their noises lol.

Oh and you only get it when warm. It's quiet as a mouse when cold. Infact tbh it's a really nice car before it warms up. Lovely and quiet.

Good news in many ways.
The water pump is a very simple affair and small enough that I can't imagine it making any noticeable noise. Could be wrong mind.

How about a small blow in the exhaust system?

I'd wait to get your planned work done and go from there. If you're lucky it'll disappear along the way of that happening.

Mine makes a lovely chipmunk style noise from one of the front bumper mounts thanks to some unpleasant type deciding to give it a nudge. Comes and goes and took me months to figure that out. Only came across the source of it by accident when I was giving it a clean one day and leaned on the bumper for balance hah.

Yeah as I say mate under the bonnet I can hear something slightly but not that loud. It's a lot louder when it's inside the car. Hence if the water pump is gone maybe the sound is travelling through the cooling system pipes and getting amplified somehow. It's a really weird sort of drone sound and it does get louder the hotter the engine gets.
Oh sod it I don't know lol. Soon find out Monday :)

Check if your crank pulley is wobbling with the engine on. They are made of two pieces of steel joined together by a rubber. As the rubber gets old, the crank can start wobbling and making funny noises.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

skhell said:
Check if your crank pulley is wobbling with the engine on. They are made of two pieces of steel joined together by a rubber. As the rubber gets old, the crank can start wobbling and making funny noises.

Oh no you're joking? I thought that was something only Peugeot would do. Ah well it'll be what it'll be.
If that pulley is going will I be able to see it wobble?

freddofrog said:
this one might be coming from the hydraulic pump (power steering)
Yeah could be, least a pump should be fairly easy to get hold of and replace :)

Alans27 said:
Oh no you're joking? I thought that was something only Peugeot would do. Ah well it'll be what it'll be.
If that pulley is going will I be able to see it wobble?
Yes, you should be able to see it wobble at idle.

Alans27 said:
Yeah could be, least a pump should be fairly easy to get hold of and replace :)
That can be very well the cause of the problem. Remove the power steering pump belt and check if the noise goes away.

Ah I'll get the garage to do that Monday when they do the cambelt lol. I've got a feeling it's not that though as it sounds like the noise is coming from inside a plastic box which makes me think it's inside the timing belt cover.

Really not too pleased gents. Got the cambelt done today and asked the garage to check this noise. They said the noise is the clutch and the clutch is slipping!! What's annoyed me is this is rubbish! The clutch is fine and that noise is still there. Think I'll call at another garage tomorrow who I'm familiar with and trust and ask them. Really unhappy with my usual garage though. That noise has to be pulley noise of some form.

Does the noise changes when you move the steering wheel? Have you checked the steering fluid level?

No mate it makes no difference. I'm convinced there's a bad pulley there somewhere

As already mentioned by someone else, remove the auxiliary belt and run the engine. If the noise has gone, you know it's something to do with one of the parts that the belt drives.

Just been to see a mate who's got his own garage business. This guy has also been employed as a technical advisor on car problems on a certain programme on tv so he really knows his stuff. I've got to go back later because I caught him at a bad time but he did listen to it for a second and he said from that quick listen if sounds like the cambelt is too tight. The plot thickens!! I'll find out more when I go back later.

For a long time I had a similar noise, but not as pronounced as yours, which only showed up after I replaced the cam belt. At first I thought it was too tight, so I took it apart, check tension again, and everything was ok, but the noise was still there.

About a a year ago, I had to replace the cam belt again. To my surprise, the noise was completely gone. What have I done differently: I used good quality belts for the auxiliary belts, Gates belts. One cheap thing that you can try, replace the auxiliary belts with Gates or Honda belts. Don't use other brand. This can solve your problem!

skhell said:
For a long time I had a similar noise, but not as pronounced as yours, which only showed up after I replaced the cam belt. At first I thought it was too tight, so I took it apart, check tension again, and everything was ok, but the noise was still there.

About a a year ago, I had to replace the cam belt again. To my surprise, the noise was completely gone. What have I done differently: I used good quality belts for the auxiliary belts, Gates belts. One cheap thing that you can try, replace the auxiliary belts with Gates or Honda belts. Don't use other brand. This can solve your problem!
Totally agree with you bud, I used a blueprint cambelt kit and water pump and gates fan belts. It should be perfectly fine with that.

Somebody's written on another forum "cambelt noise is like having your wife in the car 24/7. Constantly whines and moans" ha ha. God help him if his wife sees that!

Well the be all and end all of yesterday is I didn't really get anywhere. The mechanic I spoke to said the belt does sound a little tight but it might settle down with use. He said quite often with Peugeot you'll set the belts on them to manufacturers spec and they can be a bit tight. But as for my Honda, I think I'll just go easy with it for now and see how it goes.
Especially seen as the only place to get a crankshaft pulley is Honda themselves and they want £240 plus vat!! It's just not worth it, it's only a cheap run about anyway. There is a little pulley wobble there on the crankshaft pulley but unless it becomes really bad I won't consider paying out for it. As I said considering I only paid £450 for the car it's just not worth it. I've spent enough on new brake pipes and a cambelt already.

Stereo problem?
Just turn it up till you can't hear the other noises :)

One of my belts is now squealing like a female dog on startup after having them done.
To my eyes all looks fine in there, and took a few runs before this started and only does it for about a second. Doesn't always happen so hopefully it'll get the idea and settle in soon enough. If not, next oil change will see them fiddled with.

While the belts are new and tight (like a tiger) the bits they're pulling on are usually a little more lived in.