What's new

Air Con

Happy to do it but need some step by step instructions how to go about it and takedown the readings please.

f2raf said:
Happy to do it but need some step by step instructions how to go about it and takedown the readings please.
Turn the ignition off, press and hold both the AUTO and DUAL buttons, then either
1. turn on the ignition and then release the buttons
2. start the engine and then release the buttons

The top right display will show the sensor number e.g. 01 (which is in-car temperature) then the sensor reading e.g. 20 (Celsius)
The top right display will continue to cycle through those two numbers, so in that example, 01 20 01 20 01 20 etc etc

To advance to the next sensor, press the rear window defogger button

So one press will take you to sensor 2, nine presses to sensor 10 (on the diesel car), and ten presses back to sensor 1 (on the diesel car).

Graham needs to know sensor 10 readings

Note that A/C OFF and A/C ON still work when the display is in diagnostic mode, so you can turn the A/C ON and OFF when the engine is running (or with just ignition on).

To come out of the diagnostic, press the AUTO button, or turn the ignition off (so if you press AUTO by mistake, you will have to go back to the beginning)

I just took mine, Sensor 10 was reading 12 with the Aircon running, didn't think to check with it off.

Bounder said:
I just took mine, Sensor 10 was reading 12 with the Aircon running, didn't think to check with it off.
that's a good start, as I say, I think it should range from 10 to 15 in normal operation (which I also think is Bar)

With a off sensor 10 is 06 with AC on it was toggling 14,15 and 16. With engine on and AC off sensor 10 was on 12 and with AC on it was toggling 15 and 16

5, 28 and then down to 11 with engine on
6, c9
7, 02
8, 00
9, d5
10, 15,16 with engine and AC on

f2raf said:
5, 28 and then down to 11 with engine on
6, c9
7, 02
8, 00
9, d5
10, 15,16 with engine and AC on
crikey it was hot in your car (sensor 1 = 42) :eek:
sensor 2 is outside temp btw
and the engine hadn't been running long (sensor 4) but that doesn't matter

Grayedout said:
This one reading says mine is running low on pressure!
yes it suggests that there's not enough gas in the system (could be a leak somewhere) or a faulty compressor (with a leak in the seals)

try the wire thing again, measure sensor 10 on the diagnostic, and keep the compressor running for a few minutes - if the pressure sensor is reading correctly, and if it never reads over 10 Bar, the pressure-relief will never blow. I suspect that the pressure sensor is reading correctly, basically because the evaporator never goes cold (if the evaporator went cold with those low pressure readings, then the pressure sensor is faulty)

I've given that a "like", not because it's likeable news. but because it's fairly conclusive :(

When I started the "diagnosing aircon problems" thread in May 2012 I was not aware of the diagnostic thing, but IIRC the primary test on either petrol or diesel cars was (and still is) to run the compressor with the wire and see if the evaporator goes cold. If it does go cold, then the fault is in the control system (e.g. relay or pressure sensor), otherwise the fault is related to the gas/compressor. Running the diagnostic at the same time is a very good idea ;)

When I had the air con done the garage showed me a printout with the results that showed 0g of oil in the compressor to start with and they then added 10g. It also reported 0g of gas and they filled it with 475g of gas.

Through work I have access to Autodata so looked up the spec of the A/C system and the gas content is listed as 475 +/- 25g so this looks to be right but the oil quantity says 160g.

Could being ~150g shy of oil cause issues other than the obvious?

Also if the initial report is correct then the system has been running with no oil for a while. What damage could this have done?

On the Honda ESM it says the following under "A/C Refrigerant Oil Replacement"

Add the recommended refrigerant oil in the amount listed if you replace any of the following parts.

A/C condenser . 25 mL

Evaporator . 45 mL

Line or hose . 10 mL

Recelver/Dryer . 10 mL

Leakage repair . 25 mL

A/C compressor . For A/C compressor replacement, subtract the volume of oil drained from the removed A/C compressor from 160 mL, and drain the calculated volume of oil from the new A/C compressor: 160 mL i.e. Volume of removed A/C compressor = Volume to drain from new A/C compressor.

NOTE: Even if no oil is drained from the removed A/C compressor, don't drain more than 50 mL from the new A/C compressor.

I must admit that I was puzzled as to how a machine can "measure" the amount of oil in the system, particularly in the compressor - without actually removing the compressor and draining it ?

Gas - it's different, and the amounts are correct.

But yes, AFAIK, the seals will go dry if there is not enough oil, indeed it is said that if you don't use A/C over a period of time then the seals will dry out - "use it or lose it" is the proverb used.

I think most people get them from breakers on ebay. Breakers usually sell them under warranty, several times I've read about people getting one on ebay only to find that is faulty too, then returning it for another one that did work.

I doubt if you want to pay a grand for a new one https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SEA701&block_02=B__5701&block_03=3164&block_05=hcr probably £900 from Holdcroft Honda :eek:

IIRC all the compressors on 7th gens are the same, and also 8th gens (not so sure) and on a few other models e.g. CR-V and Legend

btw it still might be just the clutch not pulling in all the way, read this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/?p=124132 and this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/?p=124275

Checked the pressure yesterday and now gone down to 1 bar and the compressor is now not kicking in so looks like I have a leak as well!!! :(

New compressor time !

freddofrog said:
there's an inbuilt diagnostic system for the aircon (on both 7th and 8th gens)

see this guide (the 7th gen guide)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21770-blowing-hot-and-cold-air/?p=230336

the first 9 "sensors" are the same on both 7th gen petrols and on the diesel, but on the latter there is a 10th "sensor" not shown in the guide, which reads the pressure in the system

play about with the inbuilt diagnostic and it will help you to evaluate what is working and what is not working e.g. if all temperature sensors are good, and the 10th "sensor" (pressure) is giving reasonable values, yet the 5th "sensor" (evaporator temp) is warm, then this indicates a perished condenser - if you take the car along the A610 at 60 mph and the aircon starts blowing cold, it confirms a perished condenser
Hi,
Do you have the guide for the 8th generation?

Hi all,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't see a point in starting a new one when I have a similar issue.

I have a 2003 Accord Tourer 2.0 Petrol, had my AC compressor look like it just lunched itself. Stupidly I sprayed some water on each of the pulleys to try and diagnose where the grinding noise was come from, but instead experienced a shower of sparks as the water got into the pulley bearings...

Has anyone, first of all manged to find a shorter drive belt to bypass the AC compressor, if you have what length or part no did you have? And has anyone found out what compressor is fitted to 7th gen Accords? I think mine is a Keihin HS110R but no sure if there are variances.

mwahab said:
Hi all,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't see a point in starting a new one when I have a similar issue.

I have a 2003 Accord Tourer 2.0 Petrol, had my AC compressor look like it just lunched itself. Stupidly I sprayed some water on each of the pulleys to try and diagnose where the grinding noise was come from, but instead experienced a shower of sparks as the water got into the pulley bearings...

Has anyone, first of all manged to find a shorter drive belt to bypass the AC compressor, if you have what length or part no did you have? And has anyone found out what compressor is fitted to 7th gen Accords? I think mine is a Keihin HS110R but no sure if there are variances.
not my area really, best to start a new thread on this ;)

If anyone needs to bypass the AC compressor on a 2.0 petrol, I used belt part no PK1385 which is doing the job.

mwahab said:
If anyone needs to bypass the AC compressor on a 2.0 petrol, I used belt part no PK1385 which is doing the job.
that would probably fit on the 2.4 as well, but that's not a Honda part number, got any more info on where from ?

mwahab said:
Could be a plan to allow me to remove the compressor and see if it can be repaired !

freddofrog said:
that would probably fit on the 2.4 as well, but that's not a Honda part number, got any more info on where from ?
It was actually p/n 7PK1385, meaning it's a 7 rib belt 1385mm in length. I got it from my local motor factors, It took 3 trips to find the correct belt as it's hard to account for tension when you are measuring from scratch. I used this pic from CLub RSX to work out the route the belt needs to follow.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57b900a0a7463/belt1.jpg?

I think you will be OK with that belt, make sure you can fully pull back the tensioner as its pretty tight. I used a 14mm spanner and some metal tubing over the open ended part of the spanner to give me leverage. A breaker bar or socket won't fit as its too tight of a gap.

mwahab said:
I think you will be OK with that belt, make sure you can fully pull back the tensioner as its pretty tight. I used a 14mm spanner and some metal tubing over the open ended part of the spanner to give me leverage. A breaker bar or socket won't fit as its too tight of a gap.
Yeah i already changed the belt last month to remove the extra idler gear so I have a 14mm spanner that I cut the head off so I could get a bar over it

Grayedout said:
Yeah i already changed the belt last month to remove the extra idler gear so I have a 14mm spanner that I cut the head off so I could get a bar over it
Oh sorry, I noticed that you have a 2.2 CDTi, mine is a 2.0 Petrol so the belt will be completely different!

What I did to measure mine is to take a bit of string, then route the string around the pulleys, missing the AC comp, to get my measurement.