What's new

VSA fault 83-01

mace

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Exec
Hi folks.

No, I've not gotten confused, this is a VSA fault 83-01 PCM/ECM relation failure on a 2.4 petrol..

My car has taken to intermittently logging this fault, at which you get the exclamation mark and VSA warning lights, and cruise control disengages.

Usually clears after a restart, but it comes back randomly whilst driving.. I can be sat at 50 on the cruise, straight line on a level motorway and it'll kick off.

Any thoughts? Need to fix it for the imminently due MOT. :(

Ta.

In the Honda ESM it seems to be ***ociated with 86-01 which is an F-CAN communication failure. If the DTC becomes permanent and there are no other DTCs then it says "replace the VSA modulator-control unit" :(

Yeah I was beginning to think that might be the case. No surprises that I'm the first to report these things.. :)

if things go the same way as the driveshaft (which you were first to report) then there may be more people reporting VSA issues on the petrol cars now ;)

Had an issue with mine before it sold. Needed the re-teach procedure after swapping an abs sensor
Error 84-1 I think

Right I've cleaned all the contacts and no improvement, so it's time to try and locate a suitable replacement.

To that end, could anyone with a 2.4 tourer around the 2004 vintage have a look at the top of their VSA unit (under the bonnet, next to the offside wing, has a load of pipes coming out of the top of it), and post the part codes here? If anyone else wants to provide details, feel free, but make sure you include the vehicle specifics, if I get enough I'll compile them into a table for future reference.

The details on mine are etched into the top. There is a sticker underneath the pump housing, but it's beyond legibility. On the wifes diesel, there is a sticker on top which is easy to read.

Mine are:

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 Petrol Exec Tourer: Nissin NK11, SEDG5 3H25-0427 EDVVV

Mine are:

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 Petrol Exec Tourer: Nissin NK11, SEDG5 3H02-0154 EDVVV

Well I took a punt on a salvaged pump with the same part numbers (Nissin NK11, SEDG5 EDVVV), but sadly no joy, the fault is still evident. So, my old pump is probably fine, and ***uming my main ECU is ok (they are generally pretty sturdy beasts) that really just leaves a cabling fault.

I'll get back in there with some cotton buds and re-clean the connectors, see if I can get any improvement.

Out of interest, does anyone have a pinout for the VSA connector, and bonus points for wiring diagrams showing which connector on the main ECU it connects to (and the pinout therein).. :)

Resolution is too low to make out the text unfortunately. It's probably the VSA one I want, as I suspect the ABS one is for a lower end model with no VSA (not sure if they actually made any like that).

This should do it ;)

http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/btg_pics/media/Accord/CM2_VSA_pinout.jpg.html

CM2_VSA_pinout.jpg

Ideal, thanks. Can you do the same for the main ECU, as that'll be where the F-CAN bus terminates?

Might also be worth (if your manual is searchable) looking up what else is supposed to be on the F-CAN bus.

Miah said:
Ideal, thanks. Can you do the same for the main ECU, as that'll be where the F-CAN bus terminates?
I've started a new folder in photobucket called "Accord_CM2_pinouts"

here is the link http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/btg_pics/library/Accord_CM2_pinouts?sort=9&page=1

the folder has that VSA 47P pinout that's in #11, and also several ECM pinouts

Miah said:
Might also be worth (if your manual is searchable) looking up what else is supposed to be on the F-CAN bus.
good idea, I'll add them to the folder as I find them ;)

Nod. Ok for posterity:

On the ECU, connector E (31 pin):

Pin 11 is CAN-H (white)
Pin 24 is CAN-L (red)

On the VSA unit:

Pin 14 is CAN-H (white)
Pin 30 is CAN-L (red)

Unsurprisingly both pins at each end are physically very close together, since this is a twisted pair differential bus. How the cabling looks on the vehicle, remains to be seen.

I hadn't even looked at the pinouts, I only "created" them and uploaded them, I've got a good process now for getting hi-res from the ESM , but because of the way the ESM runs, the hi-res process only works on XP with a 2003 version of MS Office, I have to use a 10-year-old laptop held together with string and chewing-gum LOL

btw I'll probably do the other ECU pinouts this evening, I'll add a new post here when I've uploaded them to the folder

the pinouts are probably more useful than those rubbish circuit diagrams

I guess for completeness, pinouts of the navi and the dash would be good, as those are the remaining F-CAN nodes.

there is another useful system diagram here, which shows that the MICU and the gauge control unit are important units in the CAN system on the 7th gen

http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/btg_pics/media/Accord_CM2_pinouts/Connected_ECUs.jpg.html

Connected_ECUs.jpg

for the F-CAN, the ESM only has complete info for the pinouts on the connectors on the NAVI, the ECM, and the VSA (all now uploaded)

there are pinouts of the connectors on the MICU and on the gauge control unit, but no key is given for the use of each pin, which is really annoying

for the B-CAN, the ESM seems to have complete info for the pinouts on the connectors on the relay control module and on the climate control unit, but B-CAN pins are not shown

I'll keep searching, but I'm fairly sure that there is nothing other than what I have found so far

I'm not entirely sure /where/ the MICU lives in the vehicle.

Either way though, it's only F-CAN I'm caring about for this particular fault. I'm going to borrow a digital oscilloscope and check the signals on the bus whilst rattling cables, see if I can isolate the problem.

The MICU is behind and built into the under-dash fuse-box, according to the ESM the HDS connects to the ECM via the MICU and then the Gauge Control Module, but I won't be convinced of that until I've seem the pinouts of the MICU and the Gauge Control Module.

There are several easy ways to search for stuff on the ESM, but there are about 12,000 html pages in the folders and I reckon that loads of them are un-referenced from the top-level menu/search system on the ESM

Resurrecting this.. still have the fault, haven't yet been able to figure out what's causing it..

However, I came across this post: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090401182642AAPN7aG

Yahoo, so dubious provenance, however the suggestion is that a misfire could be involved.

Now, I have seen the occasional misfire via HDS, and the timing chain is also somewhat stretched, so I do wonder whether there could actually be a grain of truth in that theory.

Honda hds mate

sent using tapatalk

have you connected honda hds ?

Dont get too involved with the vsa when it could as simple as sticky calipers and reset of the vsa unit, when i bought my car i had the dreaded vsa unit error due to rear sticky calipers, i replaced caliper and connected hds reset dtc and performed reset never had a problem since.
Of there could be other factor such as worn bushings or faulty suspension that will upset the vsa you need to determining when the vsa is fault is coming on and try to simulate that to narrow your problem down.

Yeah, I've been using HDS - probably best you review the rest of this thread for the background information.

TLDR; it's being reported by both ECU's involved as a CAN bus failure, not a sensor fault.

The fault can occur at any speed, including stationary.

I have read through the thread and many other vsa ones as well if you have any hesitation such as sticky calipers or timing chain slipping or suspension worn this will throw up vsa issues were you able to clear dtc and perform neutral procedure ?
The reason the vsa is a bugger to find is there can be so many variables the cause from sesnors to mechanical.

sent using tapatalk

Yes, reset codes many a time, and have recalibrated the VSA unit too. Have also replaced the entire VSA unit (and recalibrated).