What's new

Accord 2.4 Mods

Hutty89

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Exec
Hey Guys,

Was hoping to get a little help / inspiration when it comes to upgrading my car.

As we all know, most Honda parts are bloody expensive to say the least, most things require a bank loan to purchase! I was wondering if anyone knew any mods which are cost effective / cheap on the wallet.

Was looking into induction kits, but unfortunately cannot afford some of the top spec kit (i.e. K&N typhoon) - does anyone know of anything which is similar but cheaper?? Also, would this require any additional work like remaps etc? (I had a Vauxhall once, i fitted an induction kit and within 2 weeks, had 2 burnt out exhaust valves!! Dont want this happening again!!)

Additionally, ive read if doing an induction kit, may be best to do the exhaust aswell, will i get away with just backboxes or will i need full system? Has anyone got any links to some systems? Im struggling to find a performance exhaust at all, ones i am finding are £700+ which is ridiculous.

Anyone know of any ways to get the VTEC to kick in earlier?

Any other suggestions are very much appreciated! Also styling suggestions would also be good!

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately natural aspirated engines (non turbo) are very expensive to get power out from.

Honda engines dont take to kindly to cheap modifications and parts. Trust me I have been there in my early years. lol.
Most cheap mods will actually make the engine run worse.

The K24 vtec engine in the accord is not to bad as it is, but with the weight of the Accord it will feel quite sluggish.

The answer to your question I am afraid is there is no real cheap way in getting increased power output out of the engine.

If you just wanted abit of roar and exhaust growl then by all means a cheap short ram induction kit will be fine and bolt on back boxes will provide that.
The above shouldn't cause any issues with the engine

If you wanted to adjust the vtec kick in you will need a vtec controller., again not cheap and i think you would need a reprogrammable ECU (Hondata S300 for exmaple) - guys here should be able to confirm.

however the VTEC cams are designed to have a profile which boosts torque at higher rpms only. If you switch to the VTEC cam at a lower rpm, your power will go down.so not really ideal.

Other ways to improve performance would be changing your final drive in your gearbox - will boost acceleration, but again not really cheap unless you can tackle the labour yourself.

Most common mods to the k series engines would be, a decent induction kit, (AEM v series), decent exhaust system cat back. Solid fabrications do excellent custom made ones and are well known on the Honda scene. With those mods a remap is required to fully take advantage of the upgrades

A member on here "ukcl9" offers a remap service which lowers the vtec point and increases the red line. There are some cheaper long arm induction kits such as Dc sports, hps, etc. And with regards to exhausts yes the aftermarket systems are expensive and a lot of forum members have custom built stainless from the likes of topgear and long life. They are usually much cheaper than the aftermarket jobs. If you combine these with a decat/sports cat and header and maybe the ep3 gears you'll have a noticeably faster car. That said by the time you've bought and fitted this lot you may need a re/mortgage anyway.!