What's new

Brakes upgrade i-CTDi

Jan Accord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CN1
Hi guys

So i decided to post the brakes upgrade i maded last month. All the story have a begining some time ago when with a friend we decided to have a street race and everything was ok until i had to brake in the limit from 200 km/h to cca 40-50km/h in a very short distance... After the braking the rear discs starts to vibrate realy bad so that was the moment of decision for upgrade :)

I searched on internet and found some solutions for my car which was direct replacment witouth modify anything...two weeks later the packages starts to come at my home :)

95e5591d243b658ae3e5edc6056f6188.jpg

And inside was.... :)

4d63fcad565ccccf2a1a1198799076f2.jpg

And.... :)

c3740fe7e8ede77d08c3dc5d102f782e.jpg

And of course

457582452a8fbc5656eaea1d062e11fd.jpg

When get this combo i decided to order another upgrade

0dd5c6c35294a2467b46b72d65280708.jpg

So at this point...let's start to play [emoji1]

First thing to do is throw away the old discs and pads...they was horrible

920c1f21320f0b357970c2559e0efe70.jpg

After that i noticed that on the back side of the front calipers was a little of rust...i just can't leave it there...so...i decided to sandblasting them...after that the look like this...

288ec488af313c7eb2db6a05cd14d7d2.jpg

After that i get a set of MOTIP which included primer, paint and lacquer resistant to hi temps...first the primer (two hands)

2ecb5e3723d61695b6b521f5e9bd3dd9.jpg

Then the colour (two hands)

2a96acc11d722557f9ac6a8615de586c.jpg

And for the finish the lacquer (two hands)

44fc5bba0a09903f452e375a1c39b532.jpg

I forgot to get a pic of the old hoses...but...let's start put things together...before anything is mounted it should be perfectly clean like this

7b15ddedf4935aee350fc760fdd9a8ec.jpg

Before the discs are mounted i recommend to put a bit of cooper grease on the hub to prevent squealing and corosion...so with the disc mounted it looks like this

31dbe2c800e262d36314ed5eac848306.jpg

Then the pads

310d6546053bb6dc40f6b35e5e8e1e43.jpg

After that i asembled the calipers bact together and put them on...the result

Front

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/3bcfd41c9ec16b83d1d4bbf438ebb819.jpg

Rear

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/379213221c215b0c13f8bdad62190214.jpg

And from the inside

Front

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/961ffc344890b049bc848bdc777e6f86.jpg

Rear

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/a8d229a6c2a68537ba5bb6555f147c98.jpg

The hoses are just wonderful made product...i recommend them

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/0b415c6244f0e35dba73a1fd00d9c681.jpg

It's a good combo...but the EBC Red Stuff pads are just awful...after 5 "normal" brakings on the street from cca 150 km/h to cca 50 km/h in 8 km long travel i was not able anymore to stop the car securely and they smell burned...Before that i made cca 1000 km for brake in period but seems to no not be what EBC promises...Now i'm in contact with them to figure out what we can do for refund or replace... I think that i should take a set of Yellow Stuff but if still will cause any kind of braking problem i will go for FERODO DS2500

Thanks for reading and i apologize for my crappy English knowledge but i'm doing my best

Had EBC Yellowstuff on my old Lexus is250 and found them great, currently use Brembo pads.

Nice paint work.

Reds, yellows etc and so on are performance pads.

You have to set-up a transfer later on the disk (you cook them past the point where they smoke and till the pedal feels soft then drive up and down the motorway without using the brakes for 15 minutes to let them cool), then drive for them to have any performance advantage and for them to not eat through your discs rapidly, and then they're only good when hot, but they are worth it if you do track work.
You'll find unless the brakes are always red hot, the transfer layer will disappear in around 500 miles, and you need to re-do the whole process.
Disks typically only last as long as a set of pads otherwise.

There's a reason all road cars come with organic pads.

Nice work Jan and looks great.
But as said you will find not much performance gains tbh.
If you want a good upgrade OEM 8th gen brakes on my CU2 are a straight bolt on and come with twin pot front callipers.
Also 6th gen type R are a straight bolt on as well.

Thank you guys for all the feedback...
The only reason i changed the whole brake system is because i burned the oem replacment set... so my needs are a bit higher then oem can handle... The brakes got in smoke but nothig is better after that so my opinion is that this is not a solution... After all Red Stuff should brake from cold , maybe not like oem but still should brake with high coeficient of friction... I think that if the pads are "racing" are not ECE approved because of low friction on cold temp... But as we all know EBC have on other forum's a lot of negative feedback from users because of any kind of problems with them...

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk

Ive used EBC reds, yellows, and blues in the past, and they're all good pads.

However under normal road conditions, they'll perform no better than a normal organic pad.

I normally run blueprint discs, and like Delphi pads as they have good initial bite.

Sintered pads require a harder disc, if your disks are a low quality pattern part, they'll be fine with an organic pad, but a sintered pad will not perform correctly on them, and they'll not take the heat you can put into them.

There's nothing wrong with an EBC pad, all the internet problems are a case of improper disc choice or a failure to set-up a good transfer layer on the disc.

If i understand well you want to say that Red Stuff pads will preform better with oem style discs? So not slotted?

It's the disc material that matters. It's as important as the pad material.
If you've got cheap discs and expensive pads, you'll never get the performance from the pads.
If you have EBC pads, run an appropriate EBC disc, they're designed to work together.

Swap in your OE Honda discs for a weekend and see the difference. They should work better with a performance pad than a pattern disc.

Good info... I should thy an set of ultimax pads on this rotors? Do you think that combination could work?

An ultimax pad is an organic pad, so should be better for normal road use. Even a greenstuff pad is a better option.

The swap to HEL lines and new fluid that you did is the best thing you can do. Most of the time people have ancient fluid and knackered lines and they're the source of their problems.

I understand that the material match sluld be a weak point in my brake system but not understant how can i burn this pads so quick ... today again i burned them and i tell u that i'm afraid to push the car as i did in the past with old brakes... I hope that i can change them with others

Something doesn't seem right. With redstuff pads in my legacy, you had to peel yourself back off the inside of th windscreen after you'd stood on the brakes hard if they were hot.

The pads haven't been contaminated have they?

Not managed to get a smear of grease on them?

Sometimes if you go overboard with the grease, it can get everywhere once you start using the car.

Reminds me of the time i took a used GSXR 750 back from the shop I used to work as a salesman for. When cleaning it one of the lads had managed to get silicon polish on the discs. Fortunately I gave it a brake test before I wound it up on the dual carriageway, otherwise I'd have done an Evel Knievel off the first roundabout.

Contaminated with what? Wash and wax? ;-)

As you can see on the pics the brakes are perfectly asembled so don't wory about any grease on the pads or disc... Today when i burned them, when the brakes stoped to brake i could not hear anymore the groves on the discs because when the pads are not overheated i can hear them... after a cca 4 km long travel downhill with a lot of turns so lot of braking...but normal braking not road race style... so the next braking was from 130 km/h to 0 and once touched cca 60km/h no more brakes... i pushed the pedal the hardest i can because i had to stop on the red light and the braking efect was horible...almost without brakes at all... when i came home i checked the brakes and the discs were violet

something seriously wrong with your setup there, they look to be worse than better. I would take to a mechanic who knows what they are doing.

I'm a mechanic ( i do it for hobby not for work ) just wanted to share my experience and listen the feedback from people which may have a similar experience. Mtec today accepted to check up the pads so just need to send them this set... For this time i will go with Ferodo or Ate to see what happens. Just want to know what happen with organic pads in a combo with Mtec discs. Again after a long reading of forums seems strange that this combo does not work well because of a lot of positive feedback from users so one option is that is realy something wrong with this set of pads ( maybe defective ) or i realy abuse them but i dubt about that. I will take u updated

^ don't worry about what toffee_pie says, he has never done any DIY on car, he thinks that a spanner is a bridge over a river, it spans the river, spanner LOL

A mechanic normally replaces something with the same thing, what you are doing can be regarded as experimental mechanical DIY ;)

I know that i'm doing my best and trying something on my car which could help so some user of this forum in the future makes me happy. For someone he never did and he never will do this sort of things, this post is witouth any value

I had a look into this too, and it seems there are really mixed responses to that pad / disc combo.
I have seen quite a few complaints about them on the Internet, but then everyone's using cheap discs.

I've used EBC pads for years in both my road and race bikes too, and never had an issue with quality, however these have always been on either an OE or an EBC disc.

From my personal experience, everything tells me it's either a mid-match between the disc and pad materials, or somehow the pads have either been contaminated by the disc coating they have at delivery, or a small amount of copper grease is tracking onto the disc or pads from either the hub mounting surface or the backs of the pads.

Have you tried removing the pads, de-glazing them and testing them again?

I removed the calipers, and de-glazed the pads after cca 200 km of driving... The disc coating was in all the slots of the disc and in the slot in the middle of the pad which i removed with a knife, then passed them with a paper of granulation 150 after that, all cleaned with brake cleaner and manualy dryied with a pan. Today i got the ATE pads so shortly i will again reasemble the brakes and test them with oragnic pads... I hope that combo work well togheter

That really doesn't sound right. I know they put a break-in compound on them now, but I've never had a pad break down enough to do that.

Today i changed the front pads ( did not have enough time for rear too ) and when i took the caliper down i saw the pads are falling apart in small pieces
1925a374b2c1ff61a2edb65ccc18b272.jpg

63becaea229a333841134eb6f85c1931.jpg

4ce8b9b97b9f202656c1935f537e1092.jpg

It looks terrible... After few km of driving with ATE pads the feeling is just amazing, much stronger initial bite when cold and when hot they grab stronger than ever on my car.. I did not tryed them on high speeds or few sequence strong brakings because i have to do few more km to do this... I know that there are many users which are happy with this product of EBC but my experience is just awful... I still cant say that the pads are not good because i don't know if they are realy matched with the disc material but from the mail recived from MTEC is confirming that test... I realy don't know what to think about them because today some woman named Clare from MTEC send me an mail in which she wrote that all discs are just from cast iron and that all the pads contains the same material and with that she told me that her knowledge about brakes and materials are equal to 0 ... Next week i will send them this pads and let's see what happen

P.S.

This pads on the pics have done about cca 1700 km and there are missing more then half of the friction material on the pad [emoji47]

That's just terrible. I've never had a pad do that to me.
Admittedly it's been 18 months since I last ran an EBC pad though (Redstuff's in a Legacy spec B with Brembo 4-pots). I wonder if they're having their pads made elsewhere to save money, because the quality's obviously gone straight down the pan.

I'm shocked. Hope they sort it out for you.
Almost makes me wonder if they're buying fakes from China made from compressed bamboo and panda faeces, then passing them onto unsuspecting customers.

I dubt about money saving in this way but never say never... I'm wondering what is causing this to the pads from the technical view to learn something new for prevent this kind of problems in the future... I hope the pads were faulty and they will accept the refund or replace othervise i burned a lot of money which i earned with hard working for some crap pads... Wish me luck ;-)

News guys

I've been contacted from MTEC and they don't want to replace or refund me for this pads because they were overheated and they offer to me a discount of 9 € to resolve this.. So i paid 180€ for the Red Stuff and now they want to sell me another set of Yellow Stuff for 180€ but they did not answer to my question i send them... If i spend another amount of 180€ fot the Yellow Stuff and the problem will be the same, what then?

I don't know what to tell u guys... I'm very dissapointed with this story

Shows how little they care for their customers. You'd think they'd atleast offer you a cost-priced replacement, as opposed to trying to make more money from you.
Obviously a firm you don't want to do business with again.

May be worth a call to EBC to see what they say, and offer to post them a pair of pads for inspection in case it's just a manufacturing issue. Their reseller (MTEC) obviously isn't doing much for EBC's reputation here.

As i know MTEC send the pads to EBC so this should be the answer from EBC... I contacet PayPal to see if the can handle this for me... I can't understand how they can just send me an email with any proves of any tests or anything about the pads which can confirm that the pads are OK but just that the pads will not be refunded or replaced because they are overheated. I wish that i could solve this on 4 eyes with them

Bet you they haven't even bothered to send them.

Oh... Now i'm in contact with EBC and MTEC did not send the pads to them so i send to EBC some pics of the pads and in their opinion they are not overheated like MTEC informed me , and to solve the problem they offer me a 40% discount which is much better of the 18€ from MTEC. Now i'm waiting the answer from PayPal...
They send me the pads which are not even listed for my car!!!
They lied to me that the pads overheated!!!
After all i readed the mails from MTEC to EBC and they did not eve asked for a replace !!!
What do you think guys about that mess up ??