What's new

8th Gen DIY: i-DTEC Coolant Replacement

apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
The sticker under the bonnet says the coolant should be changed at 62500 miles and every 37500 miles thereafter. I’ve just hit 62000 miles and the sun was out (when I started at least!) so I thought I’d get the tools out.

8thCoolantLabel_zpsawua9xbo.jpg

Before you start you’re going to need to gather together the following:

6.9 Litres Honda coolant (I got a 5L and 2 x 1L)
Containers to catch up to 7 litres of old coolant
Coolant drain plug o-ring p/n 19012-671-300 (optional)

8thCoolantBottles_zpsip4wpxd8.jpg

First start the engine, turn the heater up to max and then remove the keys:

8thCoolantHigh_zpsvhalaaft.jpg

Raise the car and support it on stands:

8thCoolantChangeStands_zpsda1ejhtl.jpg

Remove the cap from the expansion chamber:

8thCoolantCap_zpswkzlicik.jpg

The coolant drain is accessible without removing the undertray in the hole at the front of the car:

8thCoolantDrainPlug_zpscvks27rw.jpg

With your collection container at the ready, unscrew the drain plug a couple of turns. Don’t fully withdraw the plug, or you’ll have coolant all over the place! You’re aiming for a steady stream from the little hole. It’ll take a good 15 minutes to drain at this pace, but it’s controllable and there will be minimal spillage. I got on with a fuel filter swap whilst it was dribbling out.

8thCoolantFlow_zpsmo8jwuyl.jpg

When the coolant had stopped I chose to replace the o-ring as a precaution. It’s only a few extra pence on the job, and would save me kicking myself if it started dripping with the new coolant in.

8thCoolantOring_zpsywwhehw8.jpg

Re-fit the plug and lower the car off the stands. Locate the engine bleed screw behind the turbo and using a 12mm socket undo it a couple of turns.

8thCoolantBleed_zpsxmpkbukw.jpg

Start refilling the system. The first 4 litres went in really quickly, the remainder at a snails pace.

8thCoolantRefill_zps064pke8r.jpg

Keep your eye on the bleed bolt for coolant bubbling out (mine took 6.5 litres before it appeared) and stop filling once the bubbles stop and you get a steady stream.

8thCoolantFull_zpsqeba52l4.jpg

Tighten the bleed bolt (to 9.8Nm) and continue filling until the level on the expansion tank shows full.
The problem here is I found it impossible to see the fluid level on the side of the header tank. I took a few measurements and made the following from two cable ties:

8thCoolantDipstick_zpsfong65yp.jpg

As far as I can tell the distance between the top surface of the filler neck and the minimum mark on the expansion tank is 70mm, so that’s the length of the dip stick. The difference between max and min levels is about 10mm. By my reckoning, provided the end of the dip-stick is wet, but by no more than 10mm, the level is about right.

Leave the cap off the expansion tank and start the engine. You’re supposed to let the radiator fan run at least twice, but the car will sit there idling all day without needing the fans so I suggest just let it run up to normal running temp for a few minutes (it’ll take a while unless the engine was warm to begin with). Keep an eye on the coolant level. If it drops appreciably as air is purged from the system add more coolant. Check under the car and around the bleed bolt for any leaks. Refit the filler cap and allow the engine to cool. Put the kettle on.

For your next half dozen journeys keep a bottle of coolant in the boot, keep a close eye on the temp gauge and ONCE THE ENGINE HAS COOLED remove the filler cap and verify the coolant level (as trapped air might find it’s way out and need topping up).

Finally store and dispose of your old coolant responsibly. A phone call to your local council will let you know where you can take it. Alternatively a friendly garage may take it off your hands in exchange for beer / cake. Don’t just pour it down the drain or into the ground, it’s toxic to people, fish and wildlife.

For what it’s worth the coolant that came out of mine looked EXACTLY like the coolant that went in. I’ve not the means to check the specific gravity, but I’d bet it was just fine. It was reassuring to find it wasn’t full of gunk though, and if I ever suffer an expensive coolant related repair I can console myself that the coolant was changed on time with genuine Honda fluid.

Oh, and if anyone want this (or any other of my DIYs) as a PDF drop me a PM with an email address to send it to.

Great DIY Matt and very similar to my petrol but with out the bleed screw.
On mine you bleed through the fill cap on top of rad.

Thank you for this awesome DIY, so the dipstick's bottom is the low mark on the tank, and after 1cm (10mm) to fill up, and there will be a top mark of the tank?

to Brett. so it is the same Way with the 2.0 petrol exept when you are bleeding. insted of the bleeding screw u unscrew the cap on the radiator and close it when its start to overflod. is that the way.

Owing to recent changes in Photobucket’s image hosting service some of the information contained in this thread may have been lost.

Until I’ve found a suitable alternative image hosting service, and the time to re-write the post I have uploaded the original as a PDF here:

http://jmp.sh/PBa7fUu

Note that this is also uses a free hosting service, which may change its T&Cs in time, or go off line entirely. Until then though, it may help someone…

When trying to bleed air from the system as per above, when the fan comes on, is the thermostat open at that time,
If there was air in it and it was ran, would this do harm?

What i am seeing is the fans are coming on when the heating is turned on, and go off when i turn the heating off,

If the engine was ran with the heating turned off, would the fans come on when it would get to a certain temperature