What's new

84-1 vsa reset procedure without HDS

Andyjdmteg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hey folks my pal and owner of my ol type s had to replace an abs sensor and the age old 84-1 issue persists requesting the re-teach procedure to be performed. Just wondering if anyone's tried this approach in the past or if he needs to bite the bullet and fork out the fifty quid at Honda to perform the 20 second job of resetting the system. (Apologies if linking to another site is frowned on!) the procedure is outlined a few posts in to the topic

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-electronics/31353-error-code-84-vsa-sensor-neutral-position-memorization.html#/topics/31353?_k=qjgisg

hi not sure how reliable the paperclip methods are, a hds system would be the best way to you are a little far from me to scan and reset.
im based in east london

No worries Saj I think he tried mucking about with jumping pins but gave up in the end. 56 quid at the dealer and the lights are off. Thanks for the offer bud

no worries for some stuff you need a delaer or garage with hds at least

Just seen this thread, I had this and used the shorting pin out method, cleared my 84-1 no problem. I think mine came up on my Autel scanner as some sensor logic issue/neutral position memorisation. Procedure I believe was:
1) Jump pin 9 to chassis ground. (Or 4 & 9, 4 should be GND)
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly (within 0.5s) press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press (within 0.5s) the "VSA off" button.
4) Now should be a lot of different blinks and flashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off.

All has been good since. Might help someone else. Be careful finding the right pin on the OBD port though!

Interesting that, what did you use to jump the pins. Also for anyone attempting this I ***ume the PIN numbers start at pin1 along the top (longer row) left to right?

Andyjdmteg said:
Interesting that, what did you use to jump the pins. Also for anyone attempting this I ***ume the PIN numbers start at pin1 along the top (longer row) left to right?
just a bit of wire poked in the hole so to speak. Can't remember the configuration of the port I tried to look online but there seemed to be variations and it is mounted a little tricky for my limited neck movement! so I decided to unclip the port from the bracket and look at the numbers stamped on the port they are very small but with sufficient light and concentration I located the right pins. I probably should have documented with photos but it was cold and wet and I just wanted to get it done.

For anyone contemplating this I successfully removed the vsa lights on a work colleagues car (2.0 petrol) by jumping pins 4/9 using the brake pedal to erase any codes present then re-starting the process using the vsa button. Lights off and staying off !

Forgot to say the lights came on in his car after swapping a rear abs sensor, thought I'd have a go at removing them. Love it when stuff like this works!