What's new

Remap decision on post DPF removal (clutch probs)

Biggy

Reaction score
Car
Accord idtec
Hey all,
I have a small dilemma. I've decided to go for DPF removal and remap on my 2009 Accord (85000 miles) I've had for nearly 4 years. This is with a garage local to me, although the person who talked me into it recommended Premier Tuning up in Leeds.
Another guy I know has had it done at this local garage and has been happy.

The remap options are either 'economy' giving +25bhp, or a 'performance' one taking it to 225bhp.

Now 90% of my driving is 70mph motorway to and from work (26 miles each way) so I am a bit unsure why the DPF check light is on. I've had 1 forced regen at Honda which lasted 1 trip to work and back before going back to limp mode.
Also, a different local garage has done a diag. check and I was told there were no ECU faults logged, and that the fore + aft DPF pressures were fine, and it may just need an ECU update by Honda!?
I'm going for the removal anyway though.

Anyway, which remap should I go for as I am worried about expensive clutch problems?

Thanks,
Biggy

Plenty of people regularly make the trip up to us from quite literally every corner of the UK (and beyond). If you think you'll get a decent result with your local garage, by all means let them do it. Just check they are experienced with the engine management system on these cars, and know where to cut and weld to correct remove the filter without damaging the cat or sensors.

got stage 2 from fahad on a 7th gen, wouldn't go to anybody else tbh.

Hey Fahad,
Yes if you were closer I would definitely have come to you. I was worried about back pressure with a blocked DPF, and driving all that way in limp mode. A friend has taken his Accord to yourself and you were very recommended.

So I picked up my Accord today after DPF delete and remap and yes I am noticed clutch slip when I put my foot down in 3rd for example. I'm fairly sure it's the same clutch from new and now at 85000ish miles.

Would a new genuine Honda clutch such as http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-22-diesel-clutch-kit-luk-flywheel20092015-p-3725.html be ok, price seems good?
Or should I get myself something stronger? Stage 1 something maybe

Cheers,
Andy

Biggy said:
Hey Fahad,
Yes if you were closer I would definitely have come to you. I was worried about back pressure with a blocked DPF, and driving all that way in limp mode. A friend has taken his Accord to yourself and you were very recommended.

So I picked up my Accord today after DPF delete and remap and yes I am noticed clutch slip when I put my foot down in 3rd for example. I'm fairly sure it's the same clutch from new and now at 85000ish miles.

Would a new genuine Honda clutch such as http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-22-diesel-clutch-kit-luk-flywheel20092015-p-3725.html be ok, price seems good?
Or should I get myself something stronger? Stage 1 something maybe

Cheers,
Andy

depends how much torque it has been mapped to.
i went and pushed mine to the limit. .i'm running 232 bhp , 338lb ft of torque. but standard clutch would not take it. i had to get a custom clutch made. i'm running a 5 paddle performance clutch, which i had made by http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/
£500 for the custom made clutch, pressure plate and clutch bearing + £400 for fly wheel from cox motors.

its been worth it. the map and was done around 49k miles custom clutch fitted at 53k miles. im now on 93k miles and still going strong. my MPG has dropped a little though. i average about 38-42 max. on long motorway run ill get 45-ish.

Hey crazydee, thanks for the reply.

The map I have is the Celtic tuning stage 1 : https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/serv...8-2008/diesel/2-2-i-dtec-147-bhp-2008/stage-1
As described "The torque has deliberately been kept around 300lbft to ensure prolonged clutch life," and Stage 1 should mean not having to replace any components!?

Honda_Accord_MK8_22_i-DTEC_2199_cc_2008On_147_bhp_Stage_1:__221_bhp__299_lbft.jpg

This was only a little more torque than the economy map option. The curve looks nice and smooth if in fact it is as it states, only a rolling road test would show I guess.
I am more happy with the car overall now and to be honest the extra performance was the thing that helped me decide on a DPF delete rather than DPF cleaning/replacement.

I am driving without dumping my right foot in high gear/low revs so it doesn't slip but will eventually get an uprated clutch as yours.

Cheers,
Andy