What's new

DIY - Replace bad bearing on Air Conditioner Compressor on 2.2 ctdi Accord 2007

SirHansen

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi

I noticed a that I had a rattling noice every time the air con clutch got engaged. I could not find just the bearing at my local Honda dealer, they only sold the complete clutch set, 5000 NOK (500GBP)
So I decided to investigate this clutch set on my car to see if I could only replace the broken part, the bearing.
The bearing in the pulley is a special one, it is a typical high precision two row bearing used in all types of compressors.

The job was fairly simple, it took me about 1 hour, I had to go to my brothers workshop to borrow a hydraulic press to change the bearing.

What you need.

1. Socket wrench set, The bolt on the pulley is a 10 mm. It is thight, so I used my 1/4 socket wrench. The bolt came of easy.
2. I used 2 Car stands to secure the car. I am also going to changing all of by bushing on the LCA's later this week
3. Something to lock the pulley while removing the 10 mm bolt, I used a flat screwdriver

Start of work

1. Jack up the car, and make sure it is secured

2. Remove the right front wheel.

3. Remove the lower plastic shield, you can the see the Air Con pulley.

4. Lock the pulley so you can unbolt the 10 mm bolt in the center, I used a flat screwdriver. it is the number 8 in the picture below.
5. When you have removed the 10 mm bolt you can take away the outer clutch plate. BE CAREFUL, there are 3 small plates inside, don't loose them

6. Remove the snap ring, number 5 in this picture.
7. Remove the belt, number 11 in this picture
8. You can now drag the pulley itself of the shaft from the compressor.

9. I ordered a new bearing on ebay, it was 200 NOK (20GBP) I saved 4800 NOK (480GBP) doing this work myself

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131640957185?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

10. There are a lot of different numbers on the same spec bearing (different manufacturers) I found this overview. On my car I had the bearing from KOYO

11. The I went to my brothers workshop a replaced the bad bearing whit the new one, I used a hydraulic press like this.

12. Then you just reinstall the pulley, belt, plastic cover, wheel etc and you are good to go :)

Great info Marius, i drive a honda fr-v and my air con is also mkaing squeaky noise, i am sure its the clutch that casue the problem, but how can i tell if the problem is with the magnetic clutch/bearings or else? i am thinking of buying the clutch kit just on safe side also i am having problem finding the right parts for it on ebay. the parts number i got from lingshondaparts.com is PFKL2054769
CLUTCH SET, COMPRESSOR.

any advice is much appreciated

remove "_pfk" from the URL with that part number, and the part numbers then become proper Honda part numbers

Hi,

I believe that my problem was combined between the alternator clutch bearing, and auto tensior bearing. I enden up replacing both, no noice since.