What's new

Slipping clutch

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
Car (55 plate 2.2D tourer) had a new clutch and DMF done by the dealer I bought it from, 5 years and 30,000 miles ago. (How time flies!)

This weekend I did 250 miles and on three occasions the clutch slipped - on all three occasions I was accelerating hardish in 5th at 45mph. Equally, I couldn't make it slip when I tried.

The brake fluid was changed in the annual service a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt it's the clutch; if I can only make a clutch last 30k miles then I shall give up driving immediately. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Not your fault, these cars just have issues with slipping clutches.

Yes it is your clutch, it may hopefully just be the disc wearing itself even again if there is a slightly uneven part of the face of the friction surface.. just keep an eye on it until it gets worse.

Thanks. Isn't the risk that in "keeping an eye on it" (i.e. ignoring it) I end up needing a DMF as well?

In extreme situations with prolonged slipping you can burn and therefore warp the flywheel but I've not seen that happening on these cars.

Here's a problem I had forgotten I had ever had. Went away as you promised.

Well, I spoke too soon didn't I, that will teach me. The last 2000 miles (which means the clutch has done about 45,000 miles in total) it has taken to slipping really quite a lot. Only a bit really, but I can pretty much guarantee that flooring the accelerator will make the clutch slip. Do you think this will go away again, or am I heading towards a new car? Bite point is perfectly sensibly low down still.

Don't know what to do, I'd like to put new tyres on it really, but I'm blowed if I'm spending £400 on an elderly car with a slippery clutch and a creaky boot.

It’s a clutch mate, it’s designed to eventually wear. Nobody can tell you how long it will last with any real level of confidence.

It's not supposed only to do 45k (on an un-souped-up car) though is it. Either that or I don't deserve to drive a car any longer.

What should I be looking out for as a sign that it has had it, rather than just adjusting itself?

Thanks.

You can try and live with it in the hope it magically goes away or bite the bullet and change it. Worth checking the clutch pedal switch isn’t causing excessive play but unlikely that will cure it once it’s already slipping.