What's new

misfire and black smoke

buckfusby

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord ex i ctdi
H E L P I have had a remap stage one and egr blanked (thanks Farad) but engine still misfiring (if it was petrol i would suspect faulty leads/plugs ) but it has been in garage for a week now and has had injectors refurbished fuel flow checked return fuel flow checked but the dammed thing is still "missing" you can smell the unburnt fuel!! I pick it up tomorrow and will be getting a written report as to what has been done will post results when i get them.....any ideas starting to spend to much money..07 plate cdti 2.2

Hi Geof,

I recall two of your injectors were badly out of balance. Have the garage checked those? And is the inlet manifold thoroughly clean?

Can you ask them to run a compression test on each cylinder? The car did have a remap on it previously which I've solved but the damage may already be done..

Thanks Fahad Yes they have done a compression test and all 4. Cylinders are an even 310 injectors refurbished but do not know if "coded to car" also need to check if fuel filter it a Honda one if not i will get it changed

Fuel filter won't be causing that missing Geof.. it was the middle two cylinders out of balance. 1 and 4 were spot on.. I suspect possibly very badly blocked inlet around those two injector ports.. or maybe a knackered cylinder head even.

Just found out that the injectors are "leaking" i washed the engine down and got a bit to much water around the injectors which started spurting up (engine was running) so it seems that they are not seated correctly!!! So do i take them out if so how do i check the seats!!Thanks

Can you tell if it's the middle two?

Remove the stretch bolts and ease the injectors out, they may be seized in so be careful not to damage the alloy block.

Clean the seat of the injector port and use new washers from Honda.

Don't damage the alloy thread..

This may sound daft but how do i clean them and stop any muck going into the cylinder? also they have all been taken out so hopefully it will not be to much trouble removing them again

Thanks

I used an injector seat cutter plastered with grease to clean mine.
Of course, you don't want to cut a new seat, just clean it, so you don't need to apply loads of force.
The debris from the hole sticks to the grease.

This is what I was getting out of the seats.

As Fahad says, it's important that you use new copper washers to seat the injectors, or that you anneal your old ones. (I get them cherry red with a plumbers torch, then drop them in a mug of cold water)

Same goes for his comment on the stretch bolts that hold the injectors in. Make sure the bolt threads, and the threads in the head are spotless before you install.

Well the saga goes on to top it all i had the offside ball joint separate dropped the car on its nose (when half way round a junction!!) busted the driveshaft bearings gouged out the inside of the wheel....and i still have this bloody misfire? / over fueling and getting worse...it is still ok when stone cold so do i go around with a great big chiller attached to the engine!!!!!!LOL

Hi mate, so the injectors have all been tested and are fine?

Hi again Farad..yes injectors all injectors removed sent off for testing/refurb refitted still this "misfire" i had some codes come up yesterday both the same P1237 and again all seems great when cold!! losing what little hair i have left LOL

P1237 is actually a boost error Geof.. it's possible the sticking turbo is causing your misfire.

Not really, it's just a turbo.. but I'm really a bit confused with this one if I'm honest. That missing is on two cylinders

Bang the turbo has gone ...smoke everywhere had to stall engine as it started to race!! and the ignition key would not shut it down (***ume oil from turbo was keeping it running ) so turbo off next and inspect for further damage ...anyone know where i can pick up a reasonable priced turbo ....as long there is no engine damage!!!!!rogue car!!

All the shrapnel should go down the exhaust if it goes anywhere.

Even if you had any of the cold-side ***embly go up the boost pipe, it'd do well to get past the intercooler.

The turbo cartridge from the civic's the same, but you need to use the accord housings. (My current turbo's made from civic and accord parts)

Thanks for the reply hopefully it has not damaged anything ...does anyone on here know of a mechanic who can sort this out for me and not cost me a remortgage!!!!

Hi, any decent mechanic can swap a turbo on this car. Quite a few members have actually done it themselves..

It's not that bad a job TBH.
The worst bit's slowly working all the nuts off without shearing the studs.
At least you stand half a chance though as honda use brass nuts.

Well this piece of *hit has gone and done it again so it is out of the "window" anyone (brave enough) want to make me an offer 2.2 ctdi exec tourer 60000 miles you would need a flatbed or suspended tow to move it

Here she is looking sad.

KaP9YCe.jpg

I've bought another but it's an Sports tourer. Just about exactly the same spec as this one but no full leather seats no rain sense wipers etc but it goes properly and it's a year newer !!

^^ what on earth happened? Hope you weren't hurt

Seems like driveshaft linkage?

sent using tapatalk

Looks more like a snapped control arm from here

Looks like a lower ball joint to me.

Answering for my Brother who has left his account logged in on my computer !!

(I'm Civic_Outcast from CivInfo)

Yes it is the lower balljoint. Well sussed Goodluckmonkey.
It's precisely what happened on the other side a few weeks earlier. The engine was still not running right so it's highly unlikely to be an overabundance of torque !

Paul

What a pain! Not like a lower balljoint's the most straightforward thing to swap out of one of those either.

Its not the first time i have heard about ball joint popping out what was mileage?

sent using tapatalk