What's new

Dipped headlight replacement

Cal44

Members
Reaction score
Car
EX GT 2.2DTEC
Apologies if this has been posted before, I did run a search before asking and the best I saw was the post regarding the headlight alignment with front bumper removal. That may become my best answer!!

Last night my dipped headlight blew, to be fair I have had the car for nearly three years and this is the first time I have had to change any of the front lights.

My problem is simple, the handbook makes it look very easy to replace the bulb.....it is not! Once I have peeled the liner back as far as I can there is no way that my hand is getting in there to turn the light panel and even if I could there is then very little chance that I would be able to actually remove the bulb, change it and put it all back again. At one point trying to get my hand back out I nearly cut my wrist open!! If I ever meet the guy who designed this or the guy who signed it off....

Any way have any of you changed these bulbs yourself and can tell me if I am missing something obvious and an easy way to do this?

Thanks!

Cal44 said:
Apologies if this has been posted before, I did run a search before asking and the best I saw was the post regarding the headlight alignment with front bumper removal. That may become my best answer!!

Last night my dipped headlight blew, to be fair I have had the car for nearly three years and this is the first time I have had to change any of the front lights.

My problem is simple, the handbook makes it look very easy to replace the bulb.....it is not! Once I have peeled the liner back as far as I can there is no way that my hand is getting in there to turn the light panel and even if I could there is then very little chance that I would be able to actually remove the bulb, change it and put it all back again. At one point trying to get my hand back out I nearly cut my wrist open!! If I ever meet the guy who designed this or the guy who signed it off....

Any way have any of you changed these bulbs yourself and can tell me if I am missing something obvious and an easy way to do this?

Thanks!
Hi Calum the easiest way is to remove your bumper.
Take the headlights out and change your lamp.
Iv done mine and it takes about 1 hour.Honda dealership do the same btw.
Iv heard do many members saying it's taken 2 hours and there hands are cut to shreds doing as per the book.

Hi Cal.

First time I did mine on the near side took about 3 hours and shredded hands. Subsequently purchased some upgrade bulbs and followed peoples advise/wisdom and removed the bumper, then lights replace bulb and refit just over an hour. Maybe even next time take it to Honda! as a clip under the light broke. Such a stupid design.

John

Thanks for the replies gents. I think when I get the time this weekend I will be changing both dipped bulbs and possibly even the indicator bulbs as well to minimise my chances of having to go through this again in a few weeks or months. Is it definitely an h1 bulb? My car is a 2009 es gt tourer.

Cal44 said:
Thanks for the replies gents. I think when I get the time this weekend I will be changing both dipped bulbs and possibly even the indicator bulbs as well to minimise my chances of having to go through this again in a few weeks or months. Is it definitely an h1 bulb? My car is a 2009 es gt tourer.
Yes mate it's a H1 lamp as long as you don't have factory fitted HID,S

Considering the cost of the "upgraded" bulbs that I've found this is a very good option. Where abouts have u placed the ballasts? I've heard before to be careful about the colour temp as this can have an affect on the plastic inside the lens of the headlight glass. From the fact you have said that you are 3 years in with them you haven't had any problems??