What's new

Car Revs drop when I press down on Accelerator

MiniMendes

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.2
I'm just wondering has this happened with anyone else. I drive a 2010 accord ex and I noticed this issue about a month ago.

When I accelerate hard in 5th or 6th gear I feel that the car drops in power before picking up. This never used to happen before.

For example if I put the foot down the rpm initally hit about 2600 before dropping down to about 2200 and then gradually move up to 3000 as I pick up speed.

I thought initally it might be dirty fuel and even had the fuel filter changed during a service but The issue still persists.

If I am driving at a steady speed and accelerate gradually the rpm just rise steadily but as soon as I put the foot down for a little more power in 5th or 6th I seem to lose power before gaining it.

Has anyone ever had this issue? Or have a solution?

Thanks

That was pretty much the symptom of my slipping clutch. I think slip was gradual allowing the revs and acceleration to rise in a relatively normal fashion until the clutch fully grabbed (possibly as a result of heat from the slippage?), pulling the engine back slightly and then delivering power properly again. It happened on and off at the point where the turbo comes in all the higher gears.

I Ignored it and it eventually went away for close to 14 K miles, but as I feared it came back. With just 60K miles on I had to have a clutch fitted in June this year.

A disappointing life, I'd have hoped for double that, but I don't know it's previous owner treated it. Perhaps they were clutch riders at the traffic lights or booted it everywhere. Anyhow, It's been ok since...

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/20437-i-dtec-clutch-slip/

100% clutch slip.

Thanks for all the replies. I probably should explain the background of the car because upon reading the replies it seems entirely relevant,

I bought the car second hand from a dealer (not a main dealer) They actually replaced the clutch at 54000 miles. I was concerned at this so the dealer gave me the phone number of the previous owner before I made the purchase to discuss any queries.

I spoke with him and he said that his wife was the main driver of the car and he felt she was very heavy on the clutch. As a result he felt that the clutch was slipping and that was one of the reasons he traded it in.

The clutch was replaced at 54000 and I was given a full years warranty. I looked at the positive and thought well at least there is a new clutch in it so I decided to buy the car.

Only two weeks after I bought the car the DPF warning light appeared and I got that regenerated. I put that down to the previous owner who was only doing town driving in the car and not really giving the car the chance to burn off the diesel particles. That was a year ago and I have not experienced any problems until now.

Currently there is about 77000 miles on the clock. Could the clutch be gone so soon after being replaced at 54000 miles? I never had a clutch slip so this is all new to me.

Could be a number of things. But it's unusual for a clutch to only last 23k miles

Could be a poor quality clutch or incorrect fitting meaning the clutch has prematurely worn. I note you say the DPF needed a regen which suggests it's still in there but that doesn't mean the ecu hasn't been reflashed with a remap increasing the power..

Difficult to say anything for sure really.

Take it to a garage you trust and ask them to test drive it. Or find a long, quiet road and floor it in 3rd gear through the rev range, if the revs rise rapidly at any point without the car picking up speed its your clutch.

Just a note if the clutch was slipping then wouldn't the rpm rise not fall.
This was the case on my 7th gen

Hello Brett, that's right but I think what the OP is trying to explain is the clutch slipping then grabs, so thinking the revs are bogging down but it's actually slip what he's experiencing.

Salim said:
Hello Brett, that's right but I think what the OP is trying to explain is the clutch slipping then grabs, so thinking the revs are bogging down but it's actually slip what he's experiencing.
Got you Sal I just reread the 1st post.
The car revs up then drops back to its normal RPM.
Good to see your back bro and still see you still have the HRV

Just an update with my car.

I brought it to a mechanic and we both took the car out to see if the clutch was slipping.

He could not get the clutch to slip nor could I replicate the revs rising and then dropping sharply. The road he took me on was not the straightest so I feel thats why I couldnt replicate it.

He said that if the clutch was slipping it would have done so on our test run.

He thinks it could be the flywheel. Maybe that was not replaced as new during the clutch replacement.

He said he did feel a vibration when he first put his foot on the clutch and as the metals heated up during our test run that remedied the initial vibration.

He could not tell me for sure that it is the flywheel without ripping open gear box and checking but would advise against doing so. The flywheel could last another 100km you just dont know.

He also suggested that maybe there could be an oil leak causing something to drip on the plates causing them to slip. Maybe that could explain why sometimes it appears to slip. He could tell without opening all up and having a look.

His conclusion is just keep driving as normal and if it is a slipping clutch it will get worse. Again there is no point opening things up at the moment. It is a costly job.

It's just a slipping clutch, common signs. The reason it happens in higher gears is that's when the car makes the highest boost thus torque.

Could be many reasons for it but main culprit is pressure plate as I understand it.

If it's not frequent you can try my advice above or keep driving it until it gets worse.

The mechanics I brought my car to don't think that the clutch is slipping.

I recorded a short video of a typical occurrence of the issue. In the video I am driving in 6th gear. The rev counter rises up then drops. Then the car tells me to move up a gear but I can't as Im already in 6th and then the revs drop again and slowly move up. During all this time I have the accelerator floored.

https://youtu.be/m2Z58YBo_p4

The diagnostic tests are not showing up any faults. Could it be my accelerator? Has this happened to anybody else?

https://youtu.be/m2Z58YBo_p4