What's new

Best Oil - 2004 2.4 Petrol

Richardwellsy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Please can you good people advise on the oil you use in your 2.4 execs and type S' please.

Cheers Rich

Oh dear, another oil topic, that'll get the crowd going...........

There have been numerous posts on here about that. You'll find an array of options. Best to ask yourself; 1- What mileage is your car at. 2- What oil has been used thus far. IMO if it has had 5w/40 all it's life stick with the same. There are other opinions of course I'm sure they'll come through. Generally in the handbook you will find a scale according to local climate temperatures and you'll discover the Petrol 2.4 is a little flexible on oil grades but I think back in 2004 Honda were using 5w/40 for these engines. I believe recently this has changed as you'll discover on your journey of oil grade related questions :) Mine has had 5w/40 all of its life. I toyed with 5w/30 and 10w/40 both were fine but 5w/30 subtle changes in engine note led me to believe engine was not happy with that. Stuck to 5w/40.

Cheers Pal, not out to **** people off, just a quick question thats all.

My car is on 165000 and I don't know what oil has previously been used as only brought it a few months back.

5w/40 it is then!

No I didn't mean it like that, it's a bit of a hot potato that topic thats all ;o)
Do you know whats been used thus far in there?

No mate no idea... just noticed it could do with topping up slightly

castrol website is saying 0w30 :/

it is a ball ache this oil stuff ;o)

Safe bet is probably 5w/40 considering the age, miles and unknown historic use. I suppose. No doubt I'll get beaten up for saying that........... :blink:

I've been using 5w30 in mine since I bought it 3 years a go, I got a 25L Exol drum and have just finished it (between 2 cars). I've been thinking of changing to 5w40 next time it's due but can't decide what brand to go for, any suggestions?

I would say test first 5w30, if it burns it go to 5w40. I am tired of manufacturers tables with recommended Viscosity Grades and other stuff. Honda recommends 0w20 for these engines, but 2003-2005 models have been developed earlier than that, and if they started selling them in these years, then I do not believe 0w20 existed.
Mine was driven with 5w40, I drove it for a while with 5w40, no issues and winters in Bulgaria are far more severe than in the UK. Been trying 5w30 now for a bit more than 4K km. and it burns it like hell. It is AmsOil 5w30 Signatures, and yes it cleans the engine very much, I would say too much. It might be that there was sludge and after it was cleaned now there is enough space for the oil to fly away.
Anyway it was not burning it in City cycles, but only on the Highways where it gets really hot.
Will be changing it next week, nothing against AmsOil, but I do not think it is for this engine.

crown_bg said:
I would say test first 5w30, if it burns it go to 5w40. I am tired of manufacturers tables with recommended Viscosity Grades and other stuff. Honda recommends 0w20 for these engines, but 2003-2005 models have been developed earlier than that, and if they started selling them in these years, then I do not believe 0w20 existed.
Mine was driven with 5w40, I drove it for a while with 5w40, no issues and winters in Bulgaria are far more severe than in the UK. Been trying 5w30 now for a bit more than 4K km. and it burns it like hell. It is AmsOil 5w30 Signatures, and yes it cleans the engine very much, I would say too much. It might be that there was sludge and after it was cleaned now there is enough space for the oil to fly away.
Anyway it was not burning it in City cycles, but only on the Highways where it gets really hot.
Will be changing it next week, nothing against AmsOil, but I do not think it is for this engine.
Good advice and well said about the manufacture years vs oil grade, must take that into consideration.

I've decided to get some Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for when I change the oil. Has anyone used this coming from 5w30, was there any difference? MPG, engine burning it less, quieter engine etc.

If you really want premium oil then Amsoil or Fuchs actually up to 15w30 can be used in honda

sent using tapatalk

ukcl9 said:
Best oil you can use imo is fuchs race pro ester 5w40 and hamp oil filters.used it in every k20,k24 car ive owned.and always will.i change oil and filter around every 6 month regardless of milage.its a nice easy job you can do yourself
Totally agree that routine is spot on how is fuchs oil? I haven't used but read great stuff about it

sent using tapatalk

Car seemed to enjoy some millers nanotech cfs, after about 30 miles or so - post change, you could really feel a difference. Pricey though!

Cliffordski said:
0W20 as recommended by Honda.
I did read that this is what Honda recommend now but after being on 5w30 all of it's life wouldn't this be a drastic change?

I've got the 5w40 now so will try that first...

I run 5W-30 as per the handbook and what they instructed me at the Honda Garage. I get through a litre just over every 1K or so. This is again in accordance with the handbook and they say that's pretty normal at Honda. I would have thought with thinner oil, surely you're just going to be topping it up all the time!

Stevearcade said:
I run 5W-30 as per the handbook and what they instructed me at the Honda Garage. I get through a litre just over every 1K or so. This is again in accordance with the handbook and they say that's pretty normal at Honda. I would have thought with thinner oil, surely you're just going to be topping it up all the time!
That's what I thought and I hate the fact I am always topping it up so I'm going to try the slightly thicker oil.

I would say though having switched to 0W20 that I do think it's better. The engine doesn't feel sluggish & clunky from a cold start any more and it doesn't burn any more oil than it did with 0W30 so I don't need to top up between 6 monthly changes. Exol make it now and a couple of people sell their version on eBay.

Did I miss a 2nd Gulf War or something. Has oil got very expensive in the last year or so? I swear that last time I bought some QX & Magnatec (one for cleaning and other for normal oil change), they were about £20-25. Not they're £35+. What happened?

I'm sure I tried to get to the oil filter on my 2.0 and couldn't. Is there a trick or just a case of try harder, lean in more, thin those arms down? If I get to the oil filter, I'll do it myself. Darn tootin, I will.

(Right enough procrastinating, time wasting, web nonsense, on with the job application.... dull dull dull but got to be done)

daidaidai said:
Did I miss a 2nd Gulf War or something. Has oil got very expensive in the last year or so? I swear that last time I bought some QX & Magnatec (one for cleaning and other for normal oil change), they were about £20-25. Not they're £35+. What happened?

I'm sure I tried to get to the oil filter on my 2.0 and couldn't. Is there a trick or just a case of try harder, lean in more, thin those arms down? If I get to the oil filter, I'll do it myself. Darn tootin, I will.

(Right enough procrastinating, time wasting, web nonsense, on with the job application.... dull dull dull but got to be done)
The best way for me without covering myself in oil has been over the top! I put a blanket down over the slam panel, radiator and top of the rocker cover, then I lie across the engine bay and slide up towards the windscreen to get my hand down the back of the engine and remove the oil filter. I find using a cup type removal tool best, chains and wrenches seem a bit fiddly one handed.

^ as well as that method, you can get to it from under the car, but you'll need to jack it up at the front and put axle stands on each side, then go underneath where you can get to it fairly easily. The bonus of doing it from underneath is that you can get a rag up there to stop the oil trickling down onto the bearing at the end of the half-shaft.

Mwahab - brilliant - I can just picture it :D
Knowing my luck, the bonnet would fall and there'd be legs flaying around. Good idea though, I'd be tempted to try that.

Brian - I should have persevered last time and got it up on stands but... the day was drawing on and I just changed the oil (for cheapo). The garage did the filter & fresh oil change a week or two later. And again last time(s).

Thanks both