What's new

Xenon retrofit

Lacozcorby

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-DTEC
Hi,

So, when i bought the car i found out that the xenon lights have been retrofitted=standard headlights but xenon bulbs and balasts fitted.

Was driving one night next to a merc and saw the massive difference in not just the strength of the illumination but also the visibility was much much better than mine....is there a way how to get to that state as well with my accord? Will i have to change the whole kit or only balasts or maybe only bulbs??

You need to determine the intensity of the bulb first and go from there. OEM look was always around 4300k

Light output varies massively from different brands. I've always had good experience with horizon LEDs, they do come with decent ballasts.

Another consideration, I put Cree bulbs in my CBR600 out of curiosity plus didn't want to mess with ballasts wiring. I was really impressed. The light output is on par with hids and has pure white light, also instant start.

thanks for the reply guys....looking on my ballasts they dont look like it is an expensive set up, looking up on ebay and wish it looks like they were 20 pounds and thats the whole kit....obviously I believe that the 4300k vs 6000k is not the light intensity but the bulb color ??? but i can be wrong...will be looking on some kits throughout internet and user feedbacks....

Your correct it refers to the colour chart but higher Kelvin does translate to lower lumens (something to do with visible). 4300k would be the most visible light but can be yellowish, 6000k would be a slightly bluish and probably a happy medium.

But if you want max visibility then 4300k is the choice.

I'm running a VVME slim kit with 5000k bulbs on my 2007 Tourer. They work fine, a nice upgrade comapared to Halogens. But, compared to my 2006 Type-S Sedan with OEM Xenon they are rubbish :)

You can't compare a Xenon kit against a Mercs "LED matrix" (or something) lights that ze Germans spent massive amount of hours engineering.

Also check to see if you have 35watt or 55watt ballasts theres quite a difference Ive had both and the 55watt is super bright!!