What's new

2.2 iDTEC exhaust/fuel leak

dragon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-DECT
Hi & happy new year fellow Accord owners! A bit of new year help please after an expensive Xmas................

I have a 2009, 2.2 i-DTEC Accord Auto with 95K on the clock. At about 85K I had DPF issues which resulted in the expensive replacement of the DPF. I believe I have had problems for some time now (no blame at Honda for this) but it has only recently become evident. The issue is that when stationary you can smell diesel fumes from the engine bay and at times (possibly when the DPF is regenerating) there is a substantial amount of smoke emanating from the bay. All seems well with the DPF but the leak appears to be coming from the right side (as seen from the front of the engine) of the cylinder head around the alloy air intake pipe for the swirl control valve, under the fuel pump ***embly - somewhere around there!!!!! Has anyone else suffered this issue or know what the problem is before I start taking it apart piece by piece??????

I have no warning lights on the dash and the engine is running fine with fuel economy stable.

Neil

If you changed the DPF, and before that you had not problems you have the answer
Or could be the pipe of the EGR valve

Thanks for that. I think I am looking at either the EGR valve/connections, swirl control valve, fuel pump connections, install pipe (last 3 are doubtful given the symptoms). Given the congestion in that area of the engine bay I was hoping to attack just one thing and unless anyone else comes up with something different I'll be aiming for the EGR connections first.

It's hard to poind the finger on only one thing like this trough the forum.
As said before if you did not detected that smell before new DPF install, i would check this as a first thing but if this happens here and there at times as you say it's harder to detect.

Thanks for the input guys. I have just had "a good a look as possible" with the heat shield and engine cover off and still cannot isolate the issue but from what people have suggested I plan to attack the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR. Two issues 1) The front nuts are fairly accessible but the rear ones look a nightmare. Have I got to remove the pipe to the swirl unit and other parts around that area in order to gain access? 2) Looking at the exploded parts diagram 'Lings' the parts will be about £230 and its not the sort of thing you use a second hand one for. Does any one else apart from Honda supply these?

If the exhaust gases escapes from somewhere, they usualy leave a sign of black on the place so take another look to be sure

Already done that and there is soot all around the back/top of the turbo and the right side of the cylinder head between the engine block and swirl unit pipe. I am usually quite proficient with home mechanics once I know what the problem is but even my friendly (Peugeot) mechanic could only say that it was in that general location as you can hear the leak when the silencer is blocked causing some back pressure. Now waiting for an inspection mirror to arrive and see if that help before taking bits off. Having read some of the other thread Matt posted here I was wondering, if this is a fairly common fault would exhaust heat tape (normally used on motorcycles) extend the life of a new pipe?