What's new

Air conditioning really noisy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord type s tourer
Any one had any experience with there air conditioning making a major racket. Mrs called me the other day saying the cars making a really loud rattle/grinding noise? Narrowed it down to the air conditioning, when it's switched off the noise stops? It's ridiculously loud, I can only imagine it's past any sort of repair? Any one shared this experience

Could it be that extra pressure is loaded onto the auxiliary belt? Have you still got the long belt and idler pulley? Does the noise go away or is it there all the time. I had horrible noises too, but mine was down to the alternator pulley. Got a recon alternator and a short belt did away with the idler pulley, sweet as! I now have a mk8 the mods were done to a mk7, both diesels.

At the moment we've resorted to always making sure that the AC is off. The noise is constant and doesn't go away unless off. We've not long ago replaced the alternator but I don't know if the belts were all replaced. Will try and have a good look on my day off Sunday. She's rolled over 200k and is showing major signs of old age, don't want to chuck much money at it incase she finally gives up the ghost

dan type s said:
At the moment we've resorted to always making sure that the AC is off. The noise is constant and doesn't go away unless off. We've not long ago replaced the alternator but I don't know if the belts were all replaced. Will try and have a good look on my day off Sunday. She's rolled over 200k and is showing major signs of old age, don't want to chuck much money at it incase she finally gives up the ghost
I know that I will be chastised for suggesting this but squirr a little WD40 in the direction of the noise?

Update, had a look today and it sounds like the actual pump itself is failing so I've opted for the trusty method of turning it off and forgetting about it until the summer haha