What's new

Occasional Stutter when Accelerating and Gear Change not smooth

Rich_1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.2 CTDI Tourer
Hi all,

two separate issue here i'm hoping for advice on. the engine stutter i know has been touched on before on here but reading it doesn't sound like my issue so thought i'd start a new thread.

basically, it doesn't do it very often but when i am accelerating and the revs pass through 2.5k to just over 3k it seems to do it (2.2 diesel). it is like a total loss in power for a second and the whole car jolts. it then is fine again and the car picks up speed as you would expect. this happens at partial throttle, or full throttle but does most often seem to be around that rev rang but not always and has happened at higher or lower revs. i had the car serviced in November, it wasn't doing that before the service. i have been back to the garage twice and they cannot find a fault with it but it is driving me crazy! I wondered, since it is new since the service, whether the likely cause is the fuel filter which they changed. could it be the engine is being briefly starved of fuel if there is a fault/mis-fit/blockage?

the gearbox i don;t think i can blame on the garage but it has got progressively worse. it still engages all gears but sometimes with the clutch fully depressed it is lovely and other times, still with the clutch fully depressed, i need to give it a bit of a shove. would this be (hopefully) something as simple as replacing the gearbox fluid - which i don't think has ever been done (i'm not on 160k miles!) or could it be something more sinister?

sorry for the epic,

thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

I can say this much it absolutely MUST be a genuine Honda fuel filter. People on here have had all manner of problems ***ociated with non genuine filters.

If it's only happened after the service and they changed the diesel filter then most likely they've used a copy filter.

Otherwise I would say it's a sticking egr valve. Solvable with our egr off solution.

If the clutch feel is consistent, then I'd suggest changing out the gearbox oil. Did mine a world of good, and prior to it, it had a crunchy 3rd gear which im ***uming is down to a worn synchro.

It cleaned up a couple of thousands d miles after the oil change, and has been slick for 20-odd k since.

As above, first issue is almost definitly the fuel filter, unless you know they used a genuine Honda one.

Just to end the thread and a point of interest - the fitting of a genuine Honda fuel filter sorted the problem and now the car is accelerating smoothly again. i cannot believe what a difference it has made.

The gearbox oil change too has made a great difference and has taken away a bit of an issue in gear selection - especially 2nd - and is nice and smooth again.

thanks for your advice guys.

Great to hear. Well done for getting it sorted.

Great thanks for update all ways glad to hear positive and negative results.
Although yours was all positive

sent using tapatalk