Temporary limp mode

HughJarse

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord 2.2 DTi
Hi guys, bit of an odd scenario.
2004 2.2 CDTi with 129k miles.
A few days ago I was driving along. Under gentle acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear the car went into what seemed like limp mode for about 5-10 seconds and the small orange triangle on the dash started flashing. It then went off and the car continued as normal. It didn't cut out and I didn't have to stop, I just went to a lower gear and off it went and it hasn't happened since. The previous owner told me it had happened to him on 1 or 2 occasions as well.
This morning I used an OBD2 code reader and it showed no codes.

Any ideas?

Based on those symptoms i would say you have a failing Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. It's quite common on these. You can use a donor unit from any Accord of this range, petrol or diesel.

F6HAD said:
Based on those symptoms i would say you have a failing Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. .
Thanks F6, is it likely it could be related to the VSA system? It's the same light apparently.

EDIT: Sorry, it's the light beside the VSA light.

edgeoftime, no ice was present.

It was your mentioning the vsa triangle that led me to my suggestion. It's not the vsa system that's failing, it's the pedal sensor.. it's located on the bulkhead held in with 10mm bolts under a black cover. The accelerator cable is hooked on to it, easy to find and easy to swap.