What's new

Wet floor in rear passengers seat

Aurimasas

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2005 2.2
Hi there,

I was not able to find the topic related to my problem so I just create a new one.

Today in the morning I took my honda to the carwash. After I was cleaning interior and I noticed that under floor mats of rear passengers seat's its wet floor (pretty fresh wet floor if you know what I mean). It is strange because we have dry winter here in Lithuania and almost no snow for about 2-3 weeks. Also I didnt have any passengers in the back for almost a month. Both front floor's are good so I think its something related to those drain pipes or drain lines or maybe sunroof drain pipes. I checked everything arround the windows and it looks good, not water signs. No water in the trunk as well. My question is, maybe you know where to find those drain pipes and the best option to clean them? Maybe some of you had the same issue. Thank you.

Could it be condensation?

I think this issue came up before (my memory is failing me). But on the tourer the roof-rails holes (if you've roof-rails) over time, can let in water. The solution was to re-seal them.

I'm driving sedan not tourer and there are no roof rails. I have checked sunroof and was able to find only two drain holes in front so I think those comes to the front wheels but I was unable to see back holes if there are any. Will try to take out the plastic parts of interior close to the seats today or tomorrow and will upload some pictures for you guys if I will find the solution to this problem because this issue is not a joke. Humidity in the car and wet floor will make all this metal into the crap metal and rust. It will be like a biscuit and my passengers will be able to do yabadabadoo like in the Flintstones.

I've got a problem with humidity inside my sedan as well. I don't bother of rust, but it's very big problem of stimy windows after rain... in a cold mornings.
For now I removed interior plastics in the car boot and found a little water in passenger side below the air vent. It doesn't come from the vent, somewhere from above but for now I can't find where water drops from.
In both sides of the boot there are plastic clear drain hoses coming somewhere from the the roof direction but don't know where exactly from...

Last edited:
Ok I had the same thing on my 7th gen tourer the carpet under the mat in the rear was soaking wet, it was only on the drivers side the passenger side was dry, what had happened was the drain holes in the bottom of the door were blocked with debris, this only came to light when I opened the door and could hear a sloshing noise, this noise was water that had collected in the door, there is quite a large gap between the window and the door frame and water gets in very easily but drains off out of the bottom, this would explain why it happened after the car wash, check the drain holes in the rear door when I cleared mine out there was quite a lot of water came out

Shiresy said:
was the drain holes in the bottom of the door were blocked with debris, this only came to light when I opened the door and could hear a sloshing noise, this noise was water that had collected in the door
OK but how water goes from door to floor? I mean the door is far from the floor, behind the doorstep.

Aurimasas said:
I'm driving sedan not tourer and there are no roof rails. I have checked sunroof and was able to find only two drain holes in front so I think those comes to the front wheels but I was unable to see back holes if there are any. Will try to take out the plastic parts of interior close to the seats today or tomorrow and will upload some pictures for you guys if I will find the solution to this problem because this issue is not a joke. Humidity in the car and wet floor will make all this metal into the ***** metal and rust. It will be like a biscuit and my passengers will be able to do yabadabadoo like in the Flintstones.
You might find it is already yabadabadoo and I doubt the car wach is to blame, unless you are cleaning the wheel arches at the same time with the hand held sprayer (as I do to clear off mud).

The water may be coming upwards from a small hole under the carpet, or more likely the rear wheel arch, especially if you are subject to stones being thrown up from the road surface.
If it is a ten year old car you could have damage to the paint/undercoat and then the metal - including any seam welds - that are now exposed to the elements.
Lift up, or remove the rear seat to check if the paint is still unblemished across the whole of the axle.

JapCar said:
OK but how water goes from door to floor? I mean the door is far from the floor, behind the doorstep.
I had this at both sides in the rear.

The waterproof membrane/skin that's behind the door card, but stuck to the door panel had come loose at the bottom and started to direct water to come out in a trickle just behind the door card. The water would then find the carpet and fall into the footwell...

Had to take the door cards off, find the piece of membrane that was no longer stuck and restick it! I forget the name of the product I used, but it was something like tigerseal (but not quite as fierce!).

sit in the rear of the car and have someone pour water onto the rear windows, you'll soon see where it's coming in.

Mine had filled up and it was getting in through the speaker grille, all I did was poke out the drain holes and no more wet rear carpet, simple test for you pour water on the window so it runs down and watch the door bottom you should see water running down the sill if you dont then you have a blockage

mine was the same as Matt. Dealer resealed the membrane and all was well.

Thank you for your replies. It was heavy rain/snow for two days now and today I found this (pictures attached) in both rear sides of the car. I think its that membrane you were talking about.

WP_20170303_001.jpg

WP_20170301_002.jpg

So as I understand water comes from that bottom part (last picture) between metal and plastic parts, yes? And those three holes on the bottom of the door are those drain holes where water should go through?

Shiresy said:
Mine had filled up and it was getting in through the speaker grille, all I did was poke out the drain holes and no more wet rear carpet, simple test for you pour water on the window so it runs down and watch the door bottom you should see water running down the sill if you dont then you have a blockage
Shiresy, which drain holes you poked out? Where can I find them?

It's the 3 holes that you mentioned just give them a poke out my door had filled with water about a third way up, I just poked the ignition key in there and water came pouring out

Shiresy said:
It's the 3 holes that you mentioned just give them a poke out my door had filled with water about a third way up, I just poked the ignition key in there and water came pouring out
Thank you! I will try it today!

Poked those holes, didnt find anything, cleaned them with long wire - didn't help. Took my car to the car wash again and checked right after it. It looks like that Membrane someone was talking about is the issue.

2ivmiwz.jpg

9h6upx.jpg

My Tourer (2004) gets a damp driver's side seat belt, every once in a while. Probably depends on which way the rain/wind is blowing. Local bodyshop could find a problem with roof rails, but resealed anyway. Belts have never got wet wet wet and it only happens rarely, so they don't go mouldy thankfully. I guess mine could be sunroof. Not sure where the channels are. It's annoying but there you go, it's 13 years old now, done getting on for 200K and still a joy to drive so I can live with it.

Yours sounds like membrane. Hope you sort it out, nothing worse than intermittent problems or damp.

NB. Aren't most modern cars (esp Jap cars) galvanised, ie rust proof (chancing my arm, using that word, perhaps rust resistant?). Not like my old Corsa.

Sorry i forgot to update. That was thr case. My door did not have any seal so i just bought one, cut it by shape and put it and now it looks good :)