Photo

BC Coilovers Query - What preload and height do you have?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,699 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car :2003 Accord CM2
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

Car's been in garage today, still there, being finished in the morning. I went to see it. Fronts are on and looking good. But it's taken them most of the day to get the seized bushes and their metal housing out. They showed me the aftermath of one and were still cutting the other one out. Really badly seized. The mechanic was knackered. He'd been cutting, drilling and using a thermal tool of sorts all afternoon. The bolts were only half the problem. The outer steel sleeves for the bushes have completely mated and bonded to the control arm. You could clearly see on the one he was still working on. They called me at 6 this evening to tell me the replacement bushes were now ready to go in, so it would just be a case of putting the rear coil overs on, letting it sit for a few hours to bed in and then setting the ride height. All done by the afternoon, assuming nothing else crops us. So fingers crossed, get the car back tomorrow.
  • honda_saj likes this

My CM2 - Cold Air Intake with K&N Filter, Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust, Reflashed ECU, Custom Made 8J Steelies from Extreme Offset, BC Racing Coilovers, Short Shifter, Type-R Gear Knob, XCarLink iPod Interface, Interior & Exterior LED Bulb Conversion, Wind Deflectors, Yellow Fog Lamps, JDM size plates, Type S Grill (with blacked out chrome), Front & Rear Type S Skirts.

#42 Burbleboy

Burbleboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Name:Alastair
  • Car :Accord 2.2 2007
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hope you get it back today! :)
  • honda_saj likes this
If you wanna go way low...you'd better be prepared....

#43 honda_saj

honda_saj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Name:sajeel
  • Car :honda accord
  • Locationlondon

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:30 PM

Keep us posted mate

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

hope that helps post back and let us know so that others can benefit from the information

Regards,

saj

#44 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

Got the car back yesterday after lunch. The car drives very nicely indeed. I'll do a separate review thread in a few days once I've done more driving but my initial impressions are very positive. Very stable, very planted. My lowering springs gave a nice ride height, but my stock shocks were knackered (now they're off I can compress them by hand with ease and they take a lifetime to return to their uncompressed position). With the new setup the ride feels like a new car. Not bouncy, not crashy. It's lovely.

Gonna do some miles this weekend and talk more about them in a few days.

• Remedi likes this

My CM2 - Cold Air Intake with K&N Filter, Custom 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust, Reflashed ECU, Custom Made 8J Steelies from Extreme Offset, BC Racing Coilovers, Short Shifter, Type-R Gear Knob, XCarLink iPod Interface, Interior & Exterior LED Bulb Conversion, Wind Deflectors, Yellow Fog Lamps, JDM size plates, Type S Grill (with blacked out chrome), Front & Rear Type S Skirts.

#45 Andyjdmteg

Andyjdmteg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Name:Andy Collins
  • Car :Accord Type S
  • LocationHitchin

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Get some pics up steve !

#46 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

I've just posted a review of them (so far) in the modification review section, having spent a while today doing twisty country roads and stuff. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

• Remedi likes this

#47 krisdee

krisdee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Car :Accord CL9 2004
  • LocationCraigavon

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:32 PM

Car went in this morning, but I've already got it back without them fitted :( . The bolts that run through the end of the control arm and bushes were seized to the bushes corroded. The first bolt snapped so they didn't touch the other. They managed to weld it locked in place so I can drive the car, and I've ordered replacement parts, hopefully should have them by Friday, so it's looking like next week now. Hey ho... this is life, keeping an older car on the road I guess. Bolts will seize, bushes will corrode.

Do you actually have touch any control arms at the rear?
I was pretty sure that to replace strut only stabiliser link need to be disconnected.

#48 freddofrog

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Name:.Freddo
  • Car :TBD
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

Do you actually have touch any control arms at the rear?
I was pretty sure that to replace strut only stabiliser link need to be disconnected.

Steve's car is 7th gen Tourer (CM2) which has trailing-arm suspension on the rear

#49 Goodluckmonkey

Goodluckmonkey

Advanced Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car :CN2
  • LocationKent

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

It can be done without.
I removed the lower arm on one side, but didn't bother on the other because I'd have needed to cut it off and replace it due to a seized bolt.
Spring compresses with old tie downs, pull it out the hole, and new one fitted the same way.
Gen 7 Pre-Facelift CDTI Tourer
Premier Tuning stage 2 map / EGR Delete
'09 N22A2 Civic motor / Accord 5 speed / Stock LUK Clutch and DMF
8.5x19 ET42 / 9.5x19 ET45 BBS LM fakes (225/35 and 245/35 Toyo's)
-35mm Apex Springs
Avg Consumption currently @ 44.5mpg

#50 Stevearcade

Stevearcade

TA Friend

• Super Moderators
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationEastbourne

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Going to the effort of replacing suspension with coil overs, I felt it was worth the extra effort to replace seized and corroded bushes. When I had lowering springs fitted, they just used spring compressors to squeeze things in, but better replace knackered parts than work around them.

#51 Goodluckmonkey

Goodluckmonkey

Advanced Member

• TA Friends
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car :CN2
  • LocationKent

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

Of course, im not doubting that.

The bush is fine on my car, would just need destroying to get the seized bolt out.
Gen 7 Pre-Facelift CDTI Tourer
Premier Tuning stage 2 map / EGR Delete
'09 N22A2 Civic motor / Accord 5 speed / Stock LUK Clutch and DMF
8.5x19 ET42 / 9.5x19 ET45 BBS LM fakes (225/35 and 245/35 Toyo's)
-35mm Apex Springs
Avg Consumption currently @ 44.5mpg