What's new

Terrible Fuel Economy (Petrol) MPG

mike1980

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2004
Hi all.
I have had my 2004 Tourer 2.0 Auto (93k Miles) for a few months now, Full Honda Service History and also basic service done by me recently.
However, the fuel economy i'm getting is truly awful, I don't expect much but my old BMW 728 got the same or better.

22 - 26 MPG Mainly A roads and motorways (not quickly) and with lots of cruise control usage.

Any Ideas ???

Help Much appreciated as I am a good DIY mech with lots of experience, only no time scince buying car as new baby and so cold !

I am especially interested to hear any ideas that don't include new parts as to be frank, we are already living below the poverty line.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Hi,

I think that's about right for a 2.0 auto tourer if I'm being honest. I'm averaging 31 mpg over the last 12k miles on a 2.0 manual tourer. And that's driving very gently!

I would start by doing a few checks, air intake hoses can split, replace it or repair with self fusing silicone tape for a cheap temporary fix.

Service? Check plugs, air filter, check tyre pressures etc.

Other than that I think you've really got to feather it to get close to 30 mpg in an auto!

Other option is to sell it, I was in the same shoes, needed the space because of the baby but actually I can make do with a smaller car, like an EP shaped Civic!

My old 2005 subaru legacy wagon averaged 26 over 90k miles, and that was with a 3.0 petrol and all the drag that comes with permanent AWD. I didn't go easy on it either.

Surely the Honda must be better than that. My old 1.8 accord never did less than 38mpg, but that was a manual saloon.

As above servicing and decent oil with frequent changes is key, most importantly ensure your valve clearances have been checked and adjusted at that mileage. dont think the auto box or weight of the tourer are doing many favours on the economy front. Plus one for your tyre pressures and alignment too.
I also find using decent fuel like shell nitro can help a tiny bit but obviously the difference in price can often cancel out the minor gains in power/efficiency etc.

Hi Mike like you I was hoping for better but a recent check gave me 26 mpg with a mix of short journeys and 75 mph duel carriage way drives.

Edit - On the bright side my previous motor a Mitsubishi space wagon, would not only have used more petrol but a couple of pints of oil a swell.

Sounds right for a k20 auto. Our FRV with a manual box gets the same.. they're shockingly bad on fuel

Looking at the stats on Autotrader there's not a lot of difference with the average mpg of similar models. 2ltr Accord 32.1 mpg - 2 ltr Mondeo 30.7 mpg - 2.2 Vectra 34 mpg.
​I'v owned all three and think the Honda miles better.

Check your brakes aren't sticking! :)

I managed to increase my mpg greatly just by changing the rear calipers....

Sticky rear calipers are common culprit

sent using tapatalk

I've got a 2.0 auto tourer as well, a full tank will give me over 400 miles with a mixture of town, A roads and villages.

On a long trip (to Germany) I had me (93kg) my dad (145kg), 2 cases, my mountain bike and cycling related bits and was getting 270 miles from brimmed to half a tank left, (when I filled up again).

Jack the car up one wheel at a time and spin the wheel to check for binding brakes. And have a look at your driving style too. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Already had done plugs/servicing etc to insanely good levels as i'm a bit obsessive with that.

HOWEVER..... After some fiddling around with throttle body and accelerator cable etc, I got massively improved MPG....

Also, I looked at the brake binding issue..... The wheel / brake setup on these Accords needs regular cleaning deep within using jet wash etc. That is usually the culprit apparently. After doing that, and then re-doing that again after another 1.5k miles, It cannot be understated how much difference this makes !

Also, tyre pressures.... I could go on and on for hours about this as it is a subject I have much knowledge in; but for time's sake: Just 'Over-Inflate' by around 20 - 30 % depending on tyre age and type, I have never seen a car so 'fussy' about the right pressures !

To sum up..... 35MPG all the time now average !!! SPREAD THE WORD