What's new

Radiator mesh retro fit

anparkinson

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 Accord 2.0
After a stone went through my A/C condenser on my 2.0L Tourer I figured that it could easily happen again to the new one as there is no protection at all through the grill.

A simple fix - 1m sq of aluminium mesh on eBay and a couple of hours work. Make patterns from cardboard. Cut mesh. Fitting easy with thin black cable ties. Holes drilled in slats of grill at back of slats where they can't be seen. Completely invisible fittings when all back together. See photos below.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks great sir...how easy is it to remove the grill/front bumper ?. I'm afraid to muck about with the bumper as I have an executive with auto headlight washers and all the gubbins they involve....

You don't need to remove the grill or bumper. All I removed was the top plastic panel across the top of the radiators which gives you access to the back of the grill.

It's worth taking your time getting the cardboard patterns to fit perfectly - 2 above the bumber and 1 under the bumper.

I used 6 small cable ties on the bottom mesh and 2 on each of the upper ones pulling them tight against the back of the grill. The lower mesh cable ties are all on the slat half way up that runs across under the bumper. It's pretty much impossible to get a drill in there between the grill and radiators so I used a long bit of 3mm stud which I heated the end red hot with my butane torch then just pushed down on the back of the plastic grill slats to make the holes - very easy.

The bottom mesh I painted black. I left the upper ones silver.

You could also drop the front of the undertray to give access to the lower one but I didn't need to.

They really work well. I've already found leaves, feathers and stones lodged in them that would have gone straight into the condenser.

Hope that helps.